Buff Orpingtons or...???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ccrow, May 24, 2011.

1. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I have 4 two-week-old chicks; they are supposed to be Barred Rock and Buff Orpington. The Rocks are getting their little barred feathers... however, the BO's are getting white feathers, not buff. I have been looking around online and have found a few sites that said the feathers could be very light... the other thing is, these chicks are definitely only two weeks- they all had their egg tooth when I got them. But I weighed them this AM- the Rocks are 3.5 and 4 oz, while the BO's are 8 and almost 11 oz! Is the growth that much different between breeds or did I end up with meat birds?? (Just for the record, TSC was not involved!![​IMG])

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:The down feathers on my buff orps are very, very light, some even white, so possibly those are just the under layer of feathers coming in, and the buff will start coming in soon.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    What color were the "BO" chicks (their fluff)? BO chicks should be a light buff beige color. If they were light lemon yellow, sounds like you may have Cornish crosses on your hands. Also, what color are the legs?

4. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Their legs are pinkish; looking at photos of both kinds of chick, they really look a lot more like the Cornish, especially the shape.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by