Buff Orpingtons or...???

ccrow

Crowing
13 Years
May 6, 2010
Southern Maine
I have 4 two-week-old chicks; they are supposed to be Barred Rock and Buff Orpington. The Rocks are getting their little barred feathers... however, the BO's are getting white feathers, not buff. I have been looking around online and have found a few sites that said the feathers could be very light... the other thing is, these chicks are definitely only two weeks- they all had their egg tooth when I got them. But I weighed them this AM- the Rocks are 3.5 and 4 oz, while the BO's are 8 and almost 11 oz! Is the growth that much different between breeds or did I end up with meat birds?? (Just for the record, TSC was not involved!!
smile.png
)

Quote:
The down feathers on my buff orps are very, very light, some even white, so possibly those are just the under layer of feathers coming in, and the buff will start coming in soon.

What color were the "BO" chicks (their fluff)? BO chicks should be a light buff beige color. If they were light lemon yellow, sounds like you may have Cornish crosses on your hands. Also, what color are the legs?

Their legs are pinkish; looking at photos of both kinds of chick, they really look a lot more like the Cornish, especially the shape.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom