Buff Orpingtons

LVVCHAP

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
PA
I bought some Buff Orpingtons & Leghorns at the same time. My Leghorns have been laying for about a month but my Buffs haven't laid anything yet. Anyone have this experience?

How old are they? Leghorns tend to lay earlier than the average chicken, most will start at 6 months while many leghorns start at 4 months. Just give them some more time they may even be 8 months before the stat to lay. That dosent mean you won't get as many eggs from them they'll just lay longer than the leghorns.

I got my orpingtons when they were a few days old in late April. It's now early September, and only one of the four is laying eggs. Just give them some time. Look for the submissive squat, the size of their combs and waddles, and make sure they're getting more than just scratch in their diet. We introduced fancy wild bird feed and meal worms for treats and they seem to be happy with that.

I've got 4 BOs, hatched early April....One started laying at the end of Sept (25wks), another at 28wks, third at 29wks and still waiting on the last. Orpingtons mature later but they are so fluffy & love the breed/personality.
We all know the combs/wattles get RED, then there's the squat but now I've learned the final sign is the pelvic bone spread. >2 finger = close & the spread gets larger 3+ fingers once they get started. They'll also show more interest in the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom