Buff Orpington's

I wonder if some kind of super glue(fast drying) could fuse the split together. Then still cut back a bit each week until it looks like a regular beak. I suggest this so maybe it wouldn't split further down, Please don't take my suggestion as gospel. Do ask a vet if that is a feasible, safe approach, first. Then proceed with his instructions NOT mine.

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry about the beak split. But congrats on the eggs. The first eggs are small and get larger with time, the buffs will eventually lay large to xl and if like one of mine…jumbo eggs.

RE: beak..I agree with Drumstick diva. I would be concerned that pecking may split the beak higher. It will grow out like a fingernail as long as the bone underneath is not injured. But chickens wear the tips down, and I don't think she will be able to. Here's a link from Tillly's nest using crazy glue and a nail file for a beak point break:

http://www.tillysnest.com/2011/12/how-to-fix-broken-beak.html

I would try the glue at least at the apex of the split to keep it from getting worse.

The beak grows slowly, it will take a while to see improvement.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with all the advice given above. The glue is a great idea.

Best of luck with your buff!

Hi I'm new to the site..I have 6 Buff Orpington's all 20 weeks..I have a question. 3 of them I think are close to laying..their comb and wattles are big and really red, and they are singing up a storm. one of them, her beak is split, and is very long. has this happened to anyone else? If it breaks will it grown back?
I love Orpingtons. Please check with the farm Bureau or Ag dept of the closest University for help with this. Sounds painful.

Back
Top Bottom