Buff Orps = poopie butts

I have both buff orps and a barred rock and so far it is the barred rock with the poopy butt. It is on my list of things to do tomorrow. Maybe when it gets warmer, I'll give her bum feathers a trim. . .

Hello!

So I have a buff (about 10 months young) and she has a poopy. runny butt. It started few weeks ago with just a dry streak and now its runny so its possible it's getting backed up. She is pooping, eating, and acting completely normal but I don't want it to spread to other hens if it's an infection. I plan to soak and trim her up (shes really fluffy in the butt area).

Here's my question-
I have animal probiotic supplements that I occasionally use for my dogs. It's bacillus Coagulans.. Any idea if this is ok to use for birds? I have used yogurt but just realize the yogurt I have has pretty high sugar (5g a serving). Should I sprinkle some probiotic powder in their food today?

Thanks!
Caitlin

Hi all. I have two Buffs and one has a pooey butt, the other is clean. I just give her a wash from time to time. If it continues I shall trim the feathers too. I think it should be kept clean if possible. However when I visited a farm the other day (where I am going to get three more Buffs from), she had hundreds of chickens (and ducks, and geese and peacocks and pigeons.... ) - tell me - does she go round washing their butts??
big_smile.png

Hello!

So I have a buff (about 10 months young) and she has a poopy. runny butt. It started few weeks ago with just a dry streak and now its runny so its possible it's getting backed up. She is pooping, eating, and acting completely normal but I don't want it to spread to other hens if it's an infection. I plan to soak and trim her up (shes really fluffy in the butt area).

Here's my question-
I have animal probiotic supplements that I occasionally use for my dogs. It's bacillus Coagulans.. Any idea if this is ok to use for birds? I have used yogurt but just realize the yogurt I have has pretty high sugar (5g a serving). Should I sprinkle some probiotic powder in their food today?

Thanks!
Caitlin
Probiotic's would be good to try, I'm not familiar with the one you have, I usually use the Sav-A-Chick probiotic which is bacillus subtilis, or Probios water dispersable.

You might also consider deworming if they've never been dewormed as a big load of worms can cause runny poop that gets stuck on the feathers. But it might also just be the extra fluffy backside! I have a couple that need an occasional trim to keep things tidy back there.

Back
Top Bottom