Buff Orps = poopie butts

joanm

Songster
12 Years
May 13, 2007
I have two buff orps and both seem to always have poop on their bottoms where there should be fluff - they are almost a year old - I don't have this problem with my australorps - does anyone else have this problem, and what do you do?

Thanks.

I also have that problem with my Buff Orp and Barred Rock. My other girls rarely -if ever- have any problem.

I asked this question a few months ago and other people said the same: some breeds are more prone to it. Maybe it's just that they have longer butt fluff?

Whatever the reason, I sure wish there was a solution!

Thanks SeaChick - I'll just have to wash them off again - not a task I look forward to...

I have different breeds and my BO is the only one that never gets a poopy butt. Go figure. My advice, don't let it go on too long. Soak it off or cut it off or it can become a haven for bugs and the weight of it pulling on the feathers will cause the skin to get sore.

my white orp gets a butt trim every now and then

the fluff is getting shorter and shorter

it just seems to stick and stay, we call it rock-butt

I don't get any poopie butts on my buff orps. I would think diet and worms could be contributing factors. Also, some pasting can be caused by yeast infections so I would keep an eye if it is a reoccurring problem and try some routine yogurt in their diet to help with gut flora.

Jody

So far my Orps haven't had that happen. It amazes me though that they don't, I always figured with that much fluff that they would be messier. <---is that a word?
smile.png

One of my rir's has that and we cut it all off and it came back so one of our friends came over here and looked and said it happens to his chickens some times and he has got game chickens. He said all you can do is keep cuting it off. He said that some times it kills them
sad.png
and somtimes it don't. Hope this helps and good luck.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
It will kill them?! I don't feed my chickens worms - I give them layer feed 24/7 and sometimes corn and black oil sunflower seeds for a treat! Should I be worried? I'm going to clean them on Sunday.

Jody - just plain yogurt?

Back
Top Bottom