buff orps vs barred rocks

Flowerchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Eastern Shore of MD
Why are the Buff orps so much less friendly than the barred rocks? Whenever you try to pick up a buff orp it scrambles away and BAWKS at you!
hmm.png
bun.gif
:bun

I have both breeds, but many more Barred Rocks. I love BRs for their friendly manner, curious nature and egglaying prowess. I have two Buff Orps, both sweet girls, one doesn't want to be picked up, one on occasion actually asks to be picked up. I also have a couple of BR ladies who aren't thrilled with being picked up, but are sweet once you have them. There are just individual differences among each breed, I think.
Edited to add: we have a couple of BR girls who insist on sitting on my DH's lap. They lean against him and close their eyes while being petted-it's so sweet!

Last edited:
I also have both breeds, my buff orps are only a month old and are being raised by hens , so they hate my guts at the moment. My b-rocks are a little over a year old and they are like noisy busy bodys. They have to be in the middle of it all and want to know what is going on 24/7. They are so funny and not one bit afraid of me they like my wedding ring and red toe nails.

I have to agree with robinaggie. I have 8 BO hens. They are all very quite, docile, and love nothing more than hopping up on your lap, settle in, and get their chin scratched. You pet them and talk softly, they’ll cock their head while looking at you and listen. It’s so cute!

I have two BR that I got when they were 6 months old those girls are flighty wont let you get with in 5 feet of them run around and squack at you. Its take 2 months for them to just let me be within 3 feet of them without them taking off across the yard. If i have BR again they will be hand raised chicks.

Back
Top Bottom