Buff polish cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by percoco13, Oct 12, 2016.

1. percoco13

percoco13 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    15 week old "guaranteed" hen, no crowing, but I'm
    Thinking they were wrong and my she is actually a he! I'm including head shots and shots of any possible rear saddle feathers....Thoughts? Also- he started sitting back on his legs a couple of days ago- thoughts on that?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Definetly a cockerel!

3. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    That looks like squating of a pullet at the point of lay. that is what they do for the rooster to mount them. I say pullet.

4. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    Definitely a roo. He has saddle feathers coming in on his back and his head feathers indicate a male polish.

5. percoco13

percoco13 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    Yeah, I was 99% sure he was a "he". We have two other Roos and am not sure now what we'"" do with him. I do prefer how he looks to a hen so we'll see- 'aybe our friend with Wilkie hens can borrow him for a bit haha! The squatting he is doing is not the same as a hen submissive squat, he's able to walk- slightly stiff legged, but he's actually laying flat back on his legs, I was unable to get a very clear picture, but he just kind of lays his legs flat and lays back on them like in the picture. I'm slightly concerned.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by