buff Sussex...... I'm not convinced........ what are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smudgehunter, Aug 10, 2016.

1. smudgehunter

smudgehunter Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    sevenoaks, england
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These two troublemakers were bought as day old chicks and are known as the fluffies as they were so fat and fluffy as chicks (original i know haha) i was told they were buff sussex. They kind of look like RIR to me but now im not so sure as they both have white on thrm, one more so than the other........... I love them to bits but id live to know what breed the are as i definatly dont think theyre buff sussex. Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance :) x

2. CrazyChickns

CrazyChickns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Southeastern PA
    It could be a Buff sussex but if not, maybe it's a Buff x Speckled Sussex mix

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  3. CrazyChickns

CrazyChickns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Southeastern PA
    I know speckled sussex can look like that. I don't know too much about Buff sussex though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  4. smudgehunter

Jul 28, 2016
    sevenoaks, england
    We did manage to hatch one of our own buff sussex
    [​IMG]
    Got a bad feeling he will be a cockerel but as a comparision they look nothing alike :(

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Speckled Sussex and a Rhode Red

6. smudgehunter

Jul 28, 2016
    sevenoaks, england
    Thanks for everyones input, i presume you mean the 1st one is the speckled sussex. .. Do they normally have such a white breast? This is what was confusing me about her
    [​IMG]
    Its not a great picture but these are all proper feathers now on her chest and theyre pure white

7. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes, Speckled Sussex commonly have a lot white on the chest as chicks and juveniles. They'll molt it out later.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did the eggs/chicks come from? What are the chances they're mixed?

9. smudgehunter

Jul 28, 2016
    sevenoaks, england
    O i didnt know that about speckled sussex. Thankyou.
    They came from quite a reliable breeder who keeps everything seperate, there is always a possibility of an accident somewhere but it doesnt seem likely as he had a very organised set up. If there has been an accident, what mix would you think they are?

10. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Mixes are nearly impossible to determine. What other breeds did he have? Any other breeds that are speckled or mottled? Or any other red breeds? Breeding a speckled breed to a solid color almost always cancels out the speckling. And red is almost always covered by another color as well. Not 100% of the time mind you, but in general. Sounds like you've most likely got a purebred to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by