Buff that won’t stand up

DisneyMom524

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2020
Hi all! I have a girl buff (6yo) that we found laying/ sitting in the pen and wouldn’t move. When I picked her up to check her out she seemed fine, but when I sat her down, she wouldn’t walk standing upright, she walked crouched down. Her back was wet and it was apparent that she didn’t roost the night before. I’ve called the vet and they can’t see her until Monday. I’ve isolated her in a large cat carrier and brought her inside. She will not stand up, she just stays crouched down, she’s not eating or drinking that I can tell. Her poop was completely watery & dark and Omgosh it stunk!

She will make her chirping sounds when I pet her, but she seems to be very sleepy.

She is a pet chicken.

any help would be greatly appreciated

1B10EAE2-C107-44EC-AE04-8375F9354827.jpeg

Can you look her over to make sure that her bottom is clean and dry, and that there are no maggots on her? Summer heat can cause the flies to lay eggs on soiled vents which can cause flystrike. She sounds like she is nearing the end of her life, and possibly suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites or cancer. Hens make have trouble walking, waddle, have a lowered tail, decreased appetite, and runny droppings. Has she laid any eggs recently? Can you examine her lower belly between her legs to look for swelling? Also look her over for any lice or mites and eggs under her belly. Offer some water, watery chicken feed and scrambled egg bits to her. Poultry Nutridrench would be good to give as well. Have you added any new chickens recently?

Ty for your reply. She’s more alert today, stood up to stretch twice, but I’m not optimistic. I kinda thought she may be at the end of her life. I do hope I’m making her comfortable.

No new chickens, no bugs. Her stomach area doesn’t seem to be swollen, just squishy and hollow feeling. She let me examine her quit thoroughly. Her feet/legs seem to be fine.

She still won’t drink. The most I’ve been able to do is try to get water on my fingers and put it on her beak and she will take it, the little that is.

she and the other two stopped lying about 2-3 months ago.

I will continue to offer her water and wet food along with your other suggestions but I’m guessing I probably just need to take her to the vet on Monday.

Thank you again,
Leila

Is her crop empty, or is it full, puffy, firm or doughy? When one stops eating, there isn’t much you can do other than tube feex. And in an older hen, there is usally a reason why they won’t eat. Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml daily might give her a boost of electrolytes and vitamins.

It feels like she still has some food in there, not as much as if she just ate, but some. I caress her under her beak as it’s something I’ve always done with her and have been able to feel it, but didn’t think of it as something to look out for so THANK YOU. I am looking for the Poultry NutriDrench now.

I do apologize that I don’t know much about treating sick chickens they’ve always been in such good health and demeanor that we’ve never had any problems with them being sick. Now with old age creeping up on them I guess I can now expect some issues.

Thank you for helping me out with our loving Princess, that’s her name, she really is a part of our family.

Leila

Back
Top Bottom