Buff x Lavender

Lavender bred to buff produces black chicks with various amounts of buff/red leakage.
Leakage usually starts in hackle area and can be as little as looking like a birchen pattern. Think black copper marans hen or black sex link hen or it can be so much leakage it almost looks like a black tailed buff.
The reason some wouldnt recommend the cross is because it becomes a huge mess in a hurry.
Buff is a complex color. A lot of genes involved.
In a lot of projects you can cross two patterns then cross the offspring and a percentage of those F2 offspring will be what you wanted. Sometimes your wanted pattern may be 1 in 4 or times it may be 1 in 16 or 1 in 32.
When you do a cross like buff to lavender then breed the offspring you'll get some crazy high number of different offspring. The odds get so far against getting your project color that it isn't worth it unless you plan on hatching a few thousand birds.
Someone pop onto the calculator. Cross lavender to buff then cross those offspring together.
How many variations can they produce?

20180613_165028.jpg
I know you pretty much got your answer, but this is our 3 week babies from a lavender roo and a mama buff (pure accident, but we didn't mind). Just so you get an idea of color. The adult picture we found on Google. 20180613_165028.jpg

Chicks.jpeg
I know your post is older, I crossed my Lav Roo with my buff hen and the chick is dark brown/red like above. Also crossed with my tan/blue EE and got a blue chick, my brown EE gave a black and white chick (looks like a baby penguin) and then a black sex link baby from my barred rock. There is another black chick too but not sure who she came from lol.

The Peach Color can be produced with a red-enhanced Columbian that has been diluted by Lavender, someone was working with them in the past, but can't' locate who it was

The breeder called them

a few examples of gold based columbian diluted by lavender

Someone was also working on Lavender RIR to produce a rich peach color

Yeah, you have to account for the way black interacts with buff. I did a Buff Orp over Barred hens for sexlinks and the buff was amazing on them, wayyyyy more leakage than you get with the typical red.

I really hope nobody does Lavender into RIR, from what I can gather there aren't enough good RIR to go around as it is, I'd hate to have them sidetracked...

I really hope nobody does Lavender into RIR, from what I can gather there aren't enough good RIR to go around as it is, I'd hate to have them sidetracked...
Really? I have friends with really nice RIR lines that are working to improve the Rhodebars and even creating Wildtype based RIR(instead of wheaten based), spreading the RIR love is something I appreciate

Back
Top Bottom