Buffalo gnats - help

Crylbish

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
So we have blood sucking Buffalo gnats in our yard. They are biting one of our ducks more than the other members of our flock (9 pullets - ranging from 10-12 weeks and 2 pekin ducks around 11 weeks). Anyway I went down to the run to do my afternoon check in today and noticed the one duck had blood spots on its shoulders where the wings come out. Upon further investigation I actually saw an gnat in action. I removed the gnat and sprayed the affected areas with vetericyn spray. I also made a diluted vanilla extract spray and sprayed down the run, coop, and misted each bird. Is there any other recommendations/actions I can take to help protect the birds from being bit up by these gnats or treating the bites?

I had no luck with vanilla or any other home remedies. You'll have better luck with permethrin spray. I use Martin's Horse spray.
They were so bad here, last year, that I bought large rolls of screen at Lowes. I put it over the coop windows and most of the run. I also hung fly straps inside the run. I had to keep my chickens in for a couple of days after each rain.
Good luck!

I had no luck with vanilla or any other home remedies. You'll have better luck with permethrin spray. I use Martin's Horse spray.
They were so bad here, last year, that I bought large rolls of screen at Lowes. I put it over the coop windows and most of the run. I also hung fly straps inside the run. I had to keep my chickens in for a couple of days after each rain.
Good luck!
Okay vanilla was all I had on hand, but I'll pick up some permethrin spray tomorrow and try that too. Last year we had them too and thankfully only for a few weeks. They mostly went after my son. Thanks for the suggestion

Okay vanilla was all I had on hand, but I'll pick up some permethrin spray tomorrow and try that too. Last year we had them too and thankfully only for a few weeks. They mostly went after my son. Thanks for the suggestion
Your poor son. You might want to pick up some back woods off too.
Where are you located? We are in east Texas, with lots of water and woods surrounding us. We have them after every rain this time of year. Along with the mosquitos.

Your poor son. You might want to pick up some back woods off too.
Where are you located? We are in east Texas, with lots of water and woods surrounding us. We have them after every rain this time of year. Along with the mosquitos.
Western Pennsylvania- we have a small stream that goes through our yard and are surrounded by woods. Last year they were bad from mid May until maybe the second week in June. We didn't spend a lot of time outside because of them. My kids have very sensitive skin and have had reactions to most of the bug deterring sprays I've tried and the stickers and bracelets didn't seem to help much. Yesterday was the first we noticed them this year. Both my daughter and son came in with several bites around their hairlines. My husband got permethrin clothing spray to try this year, but we haven't used it yet as the bugs hadn't been a problem until yesterday

Western Pennsylvania- we have a small stream that goes through our yard and are surrounded by woods. Last year they were bad from mid May until maybe the second week in June. We didn't spend a lot of time outside because of them. My kids have very sensitive skin and have had reactions to most of the bug deterring sprays I've tried and the stickers and bracelets didn't seem to help much. Yesterday was the first we noticed them this year. Both my daughter and son came in with several bites around their hairlines. My husband got permethrin clothing spray to try this year, but we haven't used it yet as the bugs hadn't been a problem until yesterday
I hope it works for you, and the kids. I hate itchy skin, and the bugs that cause it.

I got 3 bites today and one eye is swelled shut and running afever and feel horrible. They are aweful

I bought several rolls of replacement screen for windows/doors. I use it to cover windows in the coops and partial walls on the runs. It offers some protection to the chickens, as well as shade. It doesn't seem to impede airflow.

Back
Top Bottom