Buffalo gnats?

Magepalm

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
Central Arkansas
I got my ducklings 8 going on 9 days ago and they are still indoors, but a family member mentioned something to me today that has me extremely concerned about when it comes time to move them outside (if I have to I WILL buy those danged expensive diaper harnesses til I figure out how to keep them safe!). They were talking with a coworker about the little ducklings, and the coworker asked if we'd lost any and said something about buffalo gnats? I asked what they said about them and what the danger is etc and apparently they didn't elaborate. What the heck are those and how do I keep them away from my ducks or prevent them causing them any problems? Is there any other surprise thing I should know about being a first time duckling momma? I can't afford any losses as I only have 4 right now and not to mention I am so darned attached now that these are forbidden as far as culling for food goes (Yeah yeah judge me lol!). Don't get me wrong I researched my hiney off, but I never knew anything about spraddled legs, crop problems, and certainly nothing about bugs or that those were things I needed to research. I love these little poop machines and want them to be healthy!

I searched "Buffalo Gnats" and this is what Google came up with: "The bites of certain species of black flies are also responsible for transmitting a blood-borne parasite that affects poultry called leukocytozoon." I have NEVER heard about 'Leukocytozoon' and I haven't read or seen any posts about it, so I presume it's very rare.

Also, are you giving them extra niacin? If not I'd strongly recommend that you get some in the form of BREWERS yeast (can be bought from Amazon, or other places online). This prevents leg problems and issues such as 'Wry Neck' and growth problems. Just add 1 tablespoon per scoop of crumb/starter.

Good luck with them, and try not to worry :)

Charlotte

Oh I have not, I have been giving them this stuff called gro-gel that from what I understand is basically chicken gatorade, not sure what all is in it as far as vitamins go though and I had switched them to plain water recently, so I'll pick some of that up when I go to town later! Thank you so much for the tip!!!

Back
Top Bottom