1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buffy is making weird noises: Sick or normal?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Floc Quebecois, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Hi guys!

Our Buffy is making weird noises since a week or so... She never made that sound before and is still chirping like a chick even though she's more or less 16 weeks old... She acts normally, eats, drinks, she's active... nothing changed but that weird and fast "honk-honk"!

I know it's pretty short but that's all I could get today...

Could she be a "he" and trying to crow? Could it be that she's getting her adult voice? Or could it be she's sick?

Any ideas?

thanks!

2. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I say normal. It could be a warning sound. like stay away. I see a little ruffle of the feathers. I was thinking when you said honk it was the sould they make when the get food stuck in their throat. But that sounds normal. Their sounds change as they grow and develop. I just heard my BA make some new sounds today as she went broody lastnight! And you will know when it is a crow! LOL! It sounds like a dog trying to kill a squeaky toy! Loud, totally off squeaking/honking sound. SO FUNNY! Plus they have a crowing stance and their necks get all puffed up! I'll try to add a cute picture of our little OEGB crowing.
    Here is Little Ninja our OEGB when he first started crowing! I think this was his 3rd crow!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    my buff brahma is named buffy! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Yeah!

She's getting older and changing the pecking order a little these days... Might just be that... Hopefully! She's getting so big: make me wonder if she's a "she"... but yet, she's the only brahma I have and all the others are pretty medium size or even bantam... so obviously she looks like a giant compare to her gals! [​IMG]

Thanks for your input! My other girls had their voices changing, but it was a more radical change...

This is kinda funny! She seems surprised herself! [​IMG]

p.s. I'd love to see your OEGB!!! I think they are such beautiful birds... The only one I have that has that type of body is my silver spangled hamburg, Shish... and I love her!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:yeah! probably not the most original name for a Buff Brahma, hein?! [​IMG]

I wonder how many Buff Brahmas are actually named Buffy... ? It'd be funny to know...

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Mine make that noise when I try to grab them and they don't want to be picked up. LOL They do that as they are running away from me like they are saying, "You can't catch me!"

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:yeah! probably not the most original name for a Buff Brahma, hein?! [​IMG]

I wonder how many Buff Brahmas are actually named Buffy... ? It'd be funny to know...

Or Buff Orpingtons....

<*raising hand*>

8. FromOregon

FromOregon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    the Willamette Valley
    one of my ameraucana v. ee hens sounds like a geiger counter when she clucks and bawks.. I am new to this breed, but all the other hens are sing songy and she just clicks along

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

Oh, I have "beepers" in my flock, as well. Strikes me funny every time I hear one.

10. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York

Or Buff Orpingtons....

<*raising hand*>

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by