Bug farm for winter feeding

canadianhenny

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Delburne Alberta
Does anyone raise any insects for winter feeding? I only have 20 birds would like to have bug treats available all winter . What is involved in set up and maintenance? What are the best bugs? I hope that's enough questions! lol

Try MissPrissy! I know she's been raising some.
smile.png

I do some mealworms.

Wheat bran, potato halves and a cup of small mealworms. You'll let them become beatles then you will get worms.

Almost no work at all over time. Just check to make sure they have a potato and a fruit half. It is how they get all their moisture for drinking.

We don't have a "bug farm" but my son bought meal worms for his lizard. The meal worms turn into beetles and they lay eggs-my chickens won't eat the beetles but they love the meal worms! You buy a little tub for about $4 at pet stores and if you don't refrigerate than they breed. Found that out by accident! Every now and then we are able to give some to a few lucky chickens. I'm sure with the right conditions and supplies you could breed handfuls at a time.

I know you prefer bugs for your chickens in the winter, but have you tried vermiculture? I personally have a hard time feeding earthworms to my hens, only the ones I kill with my spade.

Harvey Ussery, www.themodernhomestead.us, has a neat set-up. He grows worms in his greenhouse under the aisle wood floor. It's been a while since I logged on to his website, but he sounds very innovative.

I fed a few mung bean sprouts to my hens last winter and they really liked them. I now have alfalfa seeds soaking but I'm not keen on them. I just use a fruit jar after the initial soaking. I try to add some natural greens and protein in the winter.

Just a thought.

Consider ordering bulk. Fluker Farms is one company there are many more for pet reptiles. Crickets , meal works (two types) and so much more. They even sell houseing and other supplies to keep your insects alive while your feeding them off.

For the summer here is another idea to capitalze on insect protien. Take a shallow pan of water add one or two drops of organic liquid soap and hang a good light bulb above it. Any bugs attracted to the light fall in. The organic soap changes the surface tention of the water bugs drown. Every day the birds get a great meal of presoaked bugs for almost free.

I used to feed meal worms to my lizard. All I did was dump a few cups of meal worms into his tank, and leave them alone. The meal worms ate his poop, turned into beetles, laid eggs, turned into worms, who ate his poop...the lizard cage was self cleaning and my lizard got really fat.
lol.png

It didn't occur to me to raise meal worms for chickens, I should get a big tank started and also use those to supplement my bearded dragon's cricket diet. Store bought crickets get expensive!

Do you think they would breed ok outside in the unheated garage? I guess they'd slow way down in the winter when it freezes, wouldn't they? My DH is not bug friendly, he would die if he found me breeding worms in our house.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Do bobwhites eat insects? And if so what kind? I took the plunge and ordered the little chick-bator w/ quail eggs.I homeschool and I haven't been able to do chickens yet. I've raised parakeets and cockateils, but I let them raise their babies. Thank you.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom