Bug issue waiting period

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Deep cleaning the coop last night I discovered tiny bugs in a few crevices which I assumed were mites. I have yet to find one on any of my four hens but going to check again in a bit. Upon research they may not be mites - they were tiny like mites but more oval if that even makes sense. Black and red. I grabbed poultry dust and spray and ordered Elector online (it will arrive Thursday). I’m assuming this will work on all bugs?

I was in the process of:
1. moving my pullets into coop
2. Installing wall panels to hide studs for ease of cleaning
3. Installing larger piece of floor vinyl to extend 3-4” up the walls

My question is, how long should I wait before doing any of these things? Besides the obvious of not physically seeing a bug. Of course I don’t want pullets exposed to that and I also don’t want to put on a bandaid and block them into the walls if I still have an issue. Thanks guys!

Personally I would not sheet the inside of the coop. Yes sweeping all those corners is a pain but bugs hiding between wall cavities is a nightmare.

A suggestion....
If you still want to sheet the inside make the panels removable so you can spray in there if needed.

As to a waiting period....
spray now, spray again in 7-10 days and perhaps again 7-10 days after that.

Get creative in making it so the inside panels are removable. Maybe make the upper sections removable and the lower tilt away so you can still do the linoleum and still be able to spray.

How big is your coop?
A small coop you cannot walk in may be more challenging.

Personally I would not sheet the inside of the coop. Yes sweeping all those corners is a pain but bugs hiding between wall cavities is a nightmare.

A suggestion....
If you still want to sheet the inside make the panels removable so you can spray in there if needed.

As to a waiting period....
spray now, spray again in 7-10 days and perhaps again 7-10 days after that.

Get creative in making it so the inside panels are removable. Maybe make the upper sections removable and the lower tilt away so you can still do the linoleum and still be able to spray.

How big is your coop?
A small coop you cannot walk in may be more challenging.

Great idea! I can definitely make panels removable. I’m thinking of removing, checking and spraying as a preventative every 6 months or so. is that often enough? I plan to trim all seams of inside panels as well to hide crevices.

My coop is a 5x8 walk in so plenty of room to do so. I found them in these little cavities. Instant heebie jeebies and I was very close to starting the coop of fire.. only half kidding :hmm
8C91928F-E1E0-4B13-94EC-F7F45366BDCA.jpeg

Any idea where to start??

Totally off key, but do you have a larger photo of your run? I’m assuming that’s yours in small photo next to name

Try googling “bugs on chickens” and filter by images. Try a few different wordings and I’m sure you’ll find something.

Yes that’s our coop and run we designed and built ourselves. Here are a couple of pictures I think if you click on them it’s larger

Attachments

• 31902410-611C-4151-A060-6DF6871539B4.jpeg
    31902410-611C-4151-A060-6DF6871539B4.jpeg
    758.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 5188A254-1D92-4B93-A29C-22598726233B.jpeg
    5188A254-1D92-4B93-A29C-22598726233B.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Since you already bought the Elector use it. If you need to switch try permethrin which is just as effective but much less expensive. You do need to spray everywhere and some mites only come out at night. I would check at night. Some mites feed on the birds at night and you won't see them on the birds during the day. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free and check them at night while they are roosting. I did spray the birds, as well as their nest boxes, ceilings, walls, floors, on and under the roosts, any crack and crevices with a gallon sprayer so I could reach the hard to reach areas with the wand and repeat weekly for awhile because neither Elector or Permethrin will kill the pests eggs. I also use permethrin dust on my birds and in their nest boxes. The same as Elector there is no egg withdrawal period. Good luck...

My coop construction is similar inside, I do not have inside wall panels so all the studs show, just like yours. I painted my entire inside, which seals the wood and makes it a bit less attractive to nesting bugs like mites. All my roosts are also painted. It also makes it a bit easier to clean, stuff doesn't soak into the bare wood. All my roosts and dropping boards are removable for cleaning, and in case I ever do have to do a thorough spraying. I used a good quality, low vox exterior paint, and it has held up well. It will likely need to be repainted periodically, and roosts get repainted as needed, but I clean daily with straight vinegar on roost and droppings boards, and it holds up well.

Back
Top Bottom