Bug zapper in coop stress birds??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by epowers777, Mar 13, 2009.

1. epowers777

epowers777 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    I have a bug zapper in my coop and went in tonight like i always do 1am.(got a weird schedule) and noticed that the bug zapper is bright. Will that light keep the birds up and stress them out? Or is it fine?

2. epowers777

Mar 10, 2009
    Nobody has a suggestion?????? [​IMG]

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I don't know about chickens, but I keep a small night light on for my parrots. They seem happier with it. Most bug zappers are bluish, I bet it won't be a problem (unless the chickens stay up all night under it to catch crispy fried buggy snacks).[​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Years ago, when the zappers first came out--my parents had two near their coop. It did not seem to bother the chickens and they loved all they bugs that dropped to the ground. It attracted a lot of moths.

5. epowers777

Mar 10, 2009
    Well that answered my question thanks. I went in last night and they were all nocked out so I dont think the light bothers them.

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Seems like a great way to attract free protein [​IMG].

7. Beauregard

Beauregard Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Ive thought of doing the same thing, I'm thinkin it sounds like hours of quality entertainment [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good idea!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    we have one in our run the chickens love the well done bugs and i work crazy schedule so i dont need flashlight when filling water and feeders at night we have 17 hens we get 16 to 17 eggs every day so i dont think they mind the zapper at all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by