bugs and hurricanes

chickaddict

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Bristol
I'm seriously bummed out - my favorite relative is moving to
Florida the week after next. I tried talking her out of it (bugs and hurricanes), but she stated one more Ct winter is one too many.

seriously bummed out

I'd move back to Florida in a heartbeat, if I could dig up this farm and plop it right down in the middle of Sebring or Naples, or Palm Bay, or Key Largo or Sanibel.....

Wait a sec, scratch Palm Bay. Have lots of family there AND an ex husband. That might prove fatal.
th.gif

Last edited:
Maybe they could move somewhere in the middle, somewhere where there's not as much snow and ice, but not as much threat from hurricanes, and not so many bugs.

Personally, I could not handle living in Florida during the summer. It's too hot. I have enough trouble w/where I live, and it's not as hot!

Quote:
Ha- so is running your A/C 9 months a year! I'd take CT any day!
Tell ya what- we moved to TN because 1/2 the family is in FL and the other 1/2 is in OH. If we do move again, it will surely be north. I never thought I'd be stuck inside 1/2 the day because of the heat- but it's gotten worse here every year.

Quote:
Ha- so is running your A/C 9 months a year! I'd take CT any day!
Tell ya what- we moved to TN because 1/2 the family is in FL and the other 1/2 is in OH. If we do move again, it will surely be north. I never thought I'd be stuck inside 1/2 the day because of the heat- but it's gotten worse here every year.

X2.

Grew up near Chicago, now might as well live in Fl, it's that hot or hotter here. HATE the hot weather. I moved to get away from ice and snow. Found out I prefer it to the heat. Stuck inside in expensive AC all summer -- you can put clothes on for the cold, but not a thing you can do about the heat when outdoors. Have to tend the chickens very early in the AM and just before dark to even tolerate being out there, too many days.

I've lived in several places in Fl, including the middle of the Keys. It's actually a bit hotter here, I think.

North has bugs, too, just different species. There are effective repellants these days that are not toxic.

From memory the climate in central Florida is good if you like warm weather and don't mind the occasional heavy rain. I would pick the west coast or somewhere around Ocala.

We live in a hot climate and don't use a/c for health reasons. Ceiling fans and some portable fans are enough except for the occasional hot night when we sleep on thin mattresses downstairs on the cool marble floor. Outside doors are open and we lock security bug mesh screens to allow the air through. I also but plenty of ice in my evening beer.
big_smile.png
The only problem is mozzies who seem to enjoy feasting on us foreigners but there are ways to minimise the nuisance. Better than winter colds and being shut indoors for months in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom