Bugs! Help!

waldocoop

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
Fernandina Beach
Anyone have any idea what these bugs are?

I just peaked into the coop in hopes of seeing an egg and I saw black specks all over the hay & on the wood.
Here's a zoomed in pic hope it's not blurry :

Get rid of them as soon as possible. They will ruin your flock. These bugs are like miniature ticks that stick to the chickens face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what they are but, wd40 usually does the trick when ever they are on the chicken. In your case disenfecting the coop with bleach and water will be best.Since bleach has a strong smell it will help you get rid of them. Raid would work also. Once you get rid of them make sure to disenfect

Oh no! What are they? Do you know how to get rid of them?
I used my magnifying glass to get a good look at them in the pics; they appear to have wings. The previous poster was probably referring to stick tight fleas...they are not stick tight fleas. Got an ant nest nearby? They might be male ants. Take a close look and see if they have wings when you get a chance.
Here's a link to external parasites in poultry with closeup photos:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Last edited:
I can make out wings. Overall body shape looks more like a small fly of some sort, not unlike a fruit fly. I have similar associated with fish carcasses. Male ants would be more elongated and sisters, winged or not, would be present and large enough to give clear impression of two distinct size classes. To me, they mean you need to clean up a dead thing or dry things up that are suitable for maggot rearing.

The definitely have wings, and do look a lot like fruit flies. Thanks so much for your replies! It's been crazy weather down here in Florida, cold one day hot the next and rainy. So maybe it just needs an extra cleaning

One teaspoon of liquid sevndust to one gallon of water in a garden sprayer should do the trick. Remove the food and water then spray a mist over everything including the whole flock. You also might want to consider changing your flooring material in your coop to construction/ leveling sand.

Back
Top Bottom