Bugs in Chick Starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by idispatch4911, May 24, 2011.

1. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I know chicks love bugs anyway, but I think the medicated starter I bought at IFA had a ton of teeny bugs in it hatching. I threw the whole 25lb bag in the freezer to kill them all, but - is that normal? I would think feed would be fairly pest free. But maybe I'm wrong.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I would take it back to the store. If it was improperly stored or is old then there could be mold in there too. IMO

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It is not ok to buy feed and see bugs in it. I would return the next bag if this happens again.

The bugs won't be harmful to the chickens, but they might eat so much of the nutrition out of the feed that what is left is low quality.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Feed should be bug free. Not just fairly bug free, completely bug free. I would return it and get fresh. Maybe change feed stores. Open and check the bag before you leave.

The 3 big problems with infested feed are:

The bugs are eating the feed, reducing the nutritional content.

The feed is probably old.

The bugs are pooping in the feed.

Any one is a good reason to not feed it to your chicks.

Good luck,
    Imp

5. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sounds like millgrain beetles...need to make sure they aren't in house or feed bin. I would return the feed to the store, get new bag. I don't think it would hurt them to eat the feed but they are creepy.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Buy enough feed and you'll eventually get some that is weevily. If it has as many as it sounds like it does then take it back and get some fresher stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by