1. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    I have four hens living in a coop. whenever I clean it I find bugs. Why haven't the hens eaten them? Is this a problem and, if so how do I fix it?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What kind(s) of bugs? Not all insects are tasty to chickens.

Pat

3. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    They are the same type of bug that the hens usually fight for.

4. Bonnie Gentry

Bonnie Gentry Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    guyton
    Quote:can you post a picture of them?? are they black crickets? We have them in the summer but the chickens keep them pretty much under control. or termites when they are infested in wood sometimes have the winged ones hanging out flying around. I would be interested in seeing a picture

5. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    In the summer I get earwigs in my coop, in the door cracks so the birds can't get them... I don't know why they hang out there, its usually nice and dry in my coop.
    But they freaked me out anyways so I put down some Diatamaceous(sp?) Earth. ..Anyways, I bought it at the feed store to control mites on the birds as an organic/less harmful to children alternative. Its a very fine dust that they love to dust bathe in!

The way it works is that the grains of dirt scratch open the exoskeletons of bugs and that kills 'em. I just sprinkle it in the coop before I put the bedding down and wha-la!

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Its most likely the birds have not seen them. They will gobble them up if they see them moving. they must be night time bugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by