1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bugs in feed!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dingo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought a 4lb bag of mana pro a couple days ago, I guess sometime during packaging it got insects inside it. There's now a colony of some sort of meal beetle living in my feed container. They're small, about the size of a pin head, is it okay to feed this feed to the quail? I put the container in the freezer hoping maybe they'll die. Any thoughts? There's no mold or anything just beetles.

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Dingo,
    It should be fine. Beetles are pretty common in seeds and grains and various feeds.
    The last bag I got had a few of what you described.

Some people use it, some return feed.

I freeze mine to stop any more from showing up.

If it's just a few, IMO it's not that big a deal. If it's alot, then it could mean the feed is old.
    So it's really a judgment call on your part. If it continues than you may want to look into finding a new source.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Bugs Themselves Will Usually Be Relished As A Treat By The Quail, However... Bugs Indicate Old And Mishandled Feed, Feed Subject To These Conditions May Be Mildewed And Toxic To The Birds.

4. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

The feed itself appears fine, and there's no foul odor coming from it. I'm planning on switching them to Purina if I can find some relatively close, maybe it's time to start looking harder.
    If I supplement their feed with meal worms, could I get away with feeding 20% flock raiser?

5. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Bugs are good treats for Quail's however, but like JJ mentioned the feed could be going bad check dates on bags before purchase is what I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by