Bugs in food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sticksoup, Sep 10, 2010.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Hi- I keep my chicken food in a large tupperware tub~ thought it was a good place, always keeps it dry, has a lid, etc. Yesterday, when I took out a scoop I noticed the crumbles were full of bugs. They are little tiny bugs- about the size of small ants but not ants. I have no idea how the food got contaminated with the bugs- but these things happen. I live in southern Florida and it's still in the 90's here and we get heavy rains almost everyday. There really is no way around bugs. I'm torn- do I toss the crumbles or not worry about it? I gave the girls that scoop anyway figurinig that they like bugs so, why not?

2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I don't think it will hurt the chickens any to feed them crumbles with bugs in them (extra protein). However, I would get some food grade diatomaceous earth from the feed store and mix a bit in with your feed to stop the bugs from eating any more of it.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe that food was already contaminated when you bought it. Or, could it be the humidity getting into your container?

4. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I had the same thing, and it was fine. As long as it's not overrun with weevils and icky things, I think the little black bugs are okay.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can put your feed in the freezer for a few days to kill the bugs, they'll turn your feed into powder eventually.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The bugs are unlikely to harm them but the bugs are breaking down the food and ruining the nutrients the chickens need. For that reason I'd only use bug contaminated feed as scratch or treats even after freezing it and get a fresh bag for majority of their diet. Otherwise you won't know what they are actually getting and if it's everything they need to grow.

7. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Wow- great suggestions! Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by