build a coop? or kit?

I think I want to start with the white leghorns? From what I have read they appear to be good egg layers. The kids are going to want to see some results from the chickens too!
After that, maybe next spring if all goes well then I might consider getting a more fancy looking one.
For now I think I will be getting an older chicken. I saw that some places have 17 week old chickens that you can get. I will also be visiting some of the local farmers to see if they have any. I dont think the kids or myself are ready to raise them from chicks until we know more about caring for them.

flamig farm is a petting zoo/farm in west simsbury has rhode island reds. they sell up to 4 per person. they are 10 dollars for pullets and 8 for the older hens. i got all mine there. they arent skiddish at all and are very friendly and egg laying machines i get six eggs a day from my six girls. it was also a lot of fun getting the chickens cause you get to pick them out your self. they brought me into a coop with 300 and i got to pick which ones i wanted

OH WoW!
Thats sounds like fun! I can't wait to get the nieces and nephews to go with me.
I have 4 grandchildren who live in NH so when they come down thats what we'll do.
I better get working on that coop.

they have pigs, goats, sheep, horses, one or two cows, 700 chickens about i went when they had 300 and they got a shipment of 400 the next weekend., ducks, llamas, peacocks, rabbits and things. also in the fall they have a really scary haunted hay ride. i would consider buying chickens from there if you want friendly egg laying machine chickens. they also have a few easter eggers. they sell all there eggs.
http://www.flamigfarm.com/

they
dont say anything about selling chickens but if you email them they will tell you about it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom