[Build] Yet Another Playhouse Coop Conversion

RogerChicken

Songster
Jul 10, 2021
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First, an inventory:

I picked this up locally for $40, plus $30 delivery:

AKdlFuO.jpg

This is a 'Backyard Discovery' playhouse, made of cedar and some plastic bits. This not-mine picture below shows one that's a little less-loved:

hCQy7oV.jpg

The main difference being that the quasi-fake portico over the door has fallen off -- which is just as well, really.

This diagram shows most of the major measurements, but is also misleading in several important ways:

IK4JQF9.png

You'll notice that the actual roof I have is rotated 90 degrees from the one in the diagram above -- but I plan to remove the roof and rotate it so the door is under the ridge, so that I can make the door just a bit higher -- at 3'6" or so, it's really impractical, and I think an extra foot or so would really help.

The other thing is that the walls are arranged differently than either the diagram or the as-new photo -- facing the front door from the outside, the very-wide window wall is on the left, with window-in-the-middle walls at the rear and also the right. That arrangement doesn't really work for me either, so I'll be detaching all the wall panels from each other to re-arrange them, which will also make painting and other modifications easier, probably.

There's no floor at all, but of course I'll be adding one. Mostly likely as part of a platform that brings the whole thing about 24" to 36" up off the ground, is my current thinking.

Next up: more planning.

What a great base to work with.

Since you're taking it apart to modify it should be easy to add any additional ventilation you need. It should be a breeze to put a ridge vent on the roof too.

Yeah... my roof plan at this point, which is still kinda coming together, is to make a whole 'floating' metal roof that'll be on standoffs, 2" to 4" or so off the underlying wooden roof.

Then I'll remove some of the wooden roof boards from the peak, maybe down 6" or 12" or so, as sort of a huge ridge-vent.

More diagrams and plans to follow.

Back
Top Bottom