Builders..May I use your knowledge?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Aug 22, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm needing to find a place that sells 1/4" plexiglass. I'm looking for 48" x 48". I've looked online and found a few places that sell it 48" x 36" for a reasonable price, but thought someone might know of a "secret" outlet that they've used or have heard of that sells for cheap prices?

Just trying to renovate an old barn to house some birds and I want them to have natural light for as long as possible.

Thanks for any help!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Lowes up here sells plexiglass... they'll cut it for you too.

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    home depot does too.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Called both locations...the largest Home Depot sells is 24" x 48" in the 1/4" in size. Lowes put me on hold for 5 minutes then a guy answered and said "We don't sell no plexiglass..."

DBF then tells me that it's called "Acrylic". This is after I've hung up...

5. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Honestly, glass is cheaper than plexiglass. I believe that you could get a piece of tempered 3/16 glass cheaper than you could a 1/4" plexiglass...Plus, it will never deteriorate, in the sun. Just go to your local glass shop.

If you don't mind adjusting the hole, you might be able to find a used window, on Craigslist, cheap.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah..i'd just try to find some free windows on CL...

7. Tony O

Tony O Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah but..... In a storm with heavy hail, it will just bounce off. [​IMG] It could crack or brake the glass. Especially second hand glass. [​IMG] You might also check out twin or triple walled poly-carb.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hey..what about those plastic/pvc roof panels?? You know... the ones with the bumps in them?? They have clear and other colors too....
    Thats what i have for the roof of my goose/duck pen....
    Maybe you could use them as a window ??

9. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:Not if it's tempered glass. it has to be struck on the edge, for it to break. The only thing is, unless you could find a piece, the exact size, it has to be special ordered, because it is tempered in a special factory.

10. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    We use lexan and poly carbonate, at work. I believe Lexan is for windows that don't take a lot of abuse. Poly Carbonate breaks down in UV sunlight, so to maintain it's full strength, you need to replace it every year. It's also more expensive.

Look in the yellow pages under "plastics" (ask if they have "sheets" of plastic) and you will find suppliers. They will cut to your specs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by