Building a chicken coop

terriemackey

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Hey all! I am getting closer and closer to the day when I get my first chickens! Currently researching coops. I have an old shed about 50 ft from my back deck It could be refurb'd into a coop I think and my grandson could watch them safely from a distance. Question tho: would the smell be bad with about 12 or less birds? There are other places in the yard but no shed. Thought about eglu but the $ is an issue and I hate not to use what I already have. Thanks!

With that few number of chickens, as long as you keep up with general housekeeping, you could have them much closer to you with no worries about smell. But since the shed is where it is, that's what I would use. I wish my chickens were closer to me
sad.png

I have about 30 chickens, 2 turkeys, and 5 guineas that are 50 feet from my house and have no issue with odors. But we do a poop patrol at least once daily and make sure we are well ventilated to avoid ammonia buildup. Your shed should be fine!

If the coop is big enough, has proper ventilation, can be kept dry, and you do not allow the poop to build up too thick, you should have no major problems. Having adequate outside space for them is also a big help.

Does the ground slope at all, or does it bowl downward around shed? If the area currently ponds up during heavy rains and stands afterwards it is far easier to fill and grade (adding sand for instance) and otherwise correct drainage prior to fencing a run. Dampness and chicken poop can get rank (can also promote disease).

We don't have issues with smell even though our turks and chooks are within 25ft. (was going to build about 60yds back but difficulty level was too high, i.e, could only do it if I didn't drop live trees - Cass likes the trees).

DitchCats040508B.jpg

Welded wire will keep the majority of chicken eating vermin (particularly `domestics') from dining opportunities...
DryingOut073108.jpg

Last edited:
i agree with ivan3. the only time chicken poo really stinks bad is if it gets wet. general house keeping should keep coop smell to where its not too noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom