Building a chicken run

annasophiabee

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2019
New Hampshire
Hey guys,
As Winter's approaching, I want to build a 16x16 chicken run for the chickens and ducks. I saw this beautiful run but I'm wondering: Can I build a 2x4 wall with the studs facing wide? I've attached this picture of a run I saw on youtube and the 2x4s seem to be facing the wrong way. Wouldnt the wall be flimsy? I live in NH if that helps. Any tips are welcome! Thank you :)
Also I did message the owner and she didnt answer my question. :/

Attachments

• 20190927_220132.jpg
    20190927_220132.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 47
The wall will still be sturdy enough. They did that to make it easier to attach the Hardware Cloth, as well as leave slightly more room for error since it is easier to attach to 4 inches instead of 2. (actual 3.5 X 1.5)
The 2 x 4 are not really holding up a very heavy load in this application.
Placing the studs the other way does create a stronger wall, but only with the help of the outer sheeting, and interior drywall, as in home building wall. The one layer of HC does stiffen the wall to a degree, but if the wood warps drastically, the HC can rip out. This usually will not happen. Purchase straight good wood, and your chances for success are good.
Painting the wood greatly reduces chances of warping:thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and:welcome

The wall will still be sturdy enough. They did that to make it easier to attach the Hardware Cloth, as well as leave slightly more room for error since it is easier to attach to 4 inches instead of 2. (actual 3.5 X 1.5)
The 2 x 4 are not really holding up a very heavy load in this application.
Placing the studs the other way does create a stronger wall, but only with the help of the outer sheeting, and interior drywall, as in home building wall. The one layer of HC does stiffen the wall to a degree, but if the wood warps drastically, the HC can rip out. This usually will not happen. Purchase straight good wood, and your chances for success are good.
Painting the wood greatly reduces chances of warping:thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and:welcome
Thanks for the answer!! I was also concerned about the wood warping but you said it's npt common so that's good.
Do you happen to know how I would securely attach a 4x4 to a wood base? I used those metal anchor braces but the wood is literally dangling as it stands vertically... Help!

There are a few ways to secure the wood . These 2 come to mind.
serveimage
This one you would have to turn the 4X4 until it screwed all the way down.

These are available in different sizes and shapes. Visit hardware store for their selection.
braces.PNG

This is what I've done so far. We have alot of snow here so I got 4x4 posts sitting on a 6x6 on the bottom. I used those Simpson metal anchor pieces to connect the 4x4 to the wood bottom. The thing is that the 4x4 is super unstable and sways all over the place. I dont know how I can fix this. I'm wondering what I did wrong! I also made sure the bottom is super level (which took about 3 days lol). Thank you :)

Attachments

• 20191013_174759.jpg
    20191013_174759.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 33
A couple cross pieces secured with pocket holes will help stabilize the 4x4's.

In the pic you posted of what you like notice the angled pieces in the upper corners....doing that will also help.

They also have sheeting on the lower section. That adds to the stability as well.

Back
Top Bottom