Building A Churkey(Turkey Imposter)

Do you like the idea? Do you like Turkey, or Love Turkey?

• Total voters
Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, planning to create a new Duel Purpose breed, that will be Extra Meaty, lays Large to Jumbo Eggs, & looks like a Turkey.

This will most likely be a Side Project, but have to get the Naked Necks, & Cornish first.

Planning to use:

Cornish Games (For Meatiness, & Wideness)

Malay (For Large Size, heavy weight)

Naked Necks(For Naked Necks)

My mom is my inspiration for this, since she hates Turkey. So I thought, why not make a Chicken, that has the size, & meatiness of one, without the Taste?

Why not just have Jersey Giants, which were bred after all as a replacement for turkeys, but couldn’t compete with them as they take so long to mature?
Because they're very slow to mature, just like you said.
So, I believe using these breeds should make a better competitor.

My Biggest Malay is gonna be used for the first crossings.

Malay X Cornish

Malay X Naked Neck.

Here's my biggest Malay.
20210709_152932.jpg
He's about 7-8lbs already, & is 14 weeks old.

@NatJ, your thoughts?

My thoughts on the project in general: I wouldn't bother, because the project doesn't appeal to me personally. But if you want to do it, go ahead!

If you really want one "like" a turkey, I would suggest crossing commercial Cornish Cross (keep them on a very restricted diet so they live long enough to reproduce) with naked necks. The Cornish Cross have almost everything you would want, except the naked neck (meaty, grow fast, overall large size). If you want colored feathers, choose a colored chicken with a naked neck, and you won't have to add any additional breeds.

If you want to cross the breeds you mentioned, it will probably work too. It might take longer to get what you want, but with any crossing you are sure to end up with chickens you can eat (because all chickens can be eaten), and they will probably get fairly large, so it's just a matter of what you want to do.

My thoughts on the project in general: I wouldn't bother, because the project doesn't appeal to me personally. But if you want to do it, go ahead!

If you really want one "like" a turkey, I would suggest crossing commercial Cornish Cross (keep them on a very restricted diet so they live long enough to reproduce) with naked necks. The Cornish Cross have almost everything you would want, except the naked neck (meaty, grow fast, overall large size). If you want colored feathers, choose a colored chicken with a naked neck, and you won't have to add any additional breeds.

If you want to cross the breeds you mentioned, it will probably work too. It might take longer to get what you want, but with any crossing you are sure to end up with chickens you can eat (because all chickens can be eaten), and they will probably get fairly large, so it's just a matter of what you want to do.
I wanted to stand clear of the Cornish X, because they're hard to keep living, plus they have lots of competition with the other birds that are more agile.

Cornish X Naked Neck, wouldn't give me the size I want, plus that is the formula used for the creation of the Naked Chicken.

The idea is a 3ft tall Extra Meaty bird, that is also an egg layer. Not a production type layer though.

Back
Top Bottom