Building a coop first time

beauzdad

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Finally some nice weather so I started building a coop for my new girls. I have no idea if I'm doing it right, but there is a wealth of info on this site. What do you think? Main coop will be 8X8. With 8 nest boxes and an 8 ft by 12 ft enclosed run . Oh yeah 16 pullets .

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing just fine.
thumbsup.gif
Nice coop, with windows at that. 4sf a bird in the coop is great. The run, at 98 sf is enough to keep em in for a day or two but they will want to stretch their wings so to speak, and leave the coop.

Build the run as big as you possibly can. They will take it to dirt in no time with 16 of them.

Wish ya the best.

Well the coop is done, what a lot of fun I had building it, picked up some great ideas looking at others. Now I just need to build a run. I'm thinking 10 X20 ft plus enclosing the base of the coop with hardware cloth so that they can have some shade that would be 10X28. I have 16 chicks that are 4 weeks old, but I think a couple may be Roos. Not sure if I'll keep them I promised my wife that we wouldn't have any Roosters, but I love to hear a rooster crow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom