Building a coop

chickenman1244

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Dighton, MA
I'm going to be building a coop for a dozen chickens. This will be my first time having chickens so as you can imagine I have tons of questions! First, how much room in the coop is recommended for each bird? How many laying boxes do I need? How big should the run be? Dirt floor or wood floor for the coop? How tall should it be? I'm on a pretty low budget so I'm not looking to build anything extravagant but I want it to be a good coop for 12 chickens. Your oppinions or answers will be much appreciated,I am also interested in good brooder designs. Thanks

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
welcome-byc.gif
Please check out the coops section, for models, building plans and other details.

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
Greetings from Kansas, chickenman1244, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! As to some of your questions:
-Coop size: 4 sq. ft. per bird...run size; 10 sq. ft. per bird
-3 or 4 laying boxes will be sufficient
-I'd recommend a wood floor of the coop for easier clean up but some folks use sand
-Tall? Unsure - not sure it matters - but put the roosts higher than the nest boxes so they don't roost in the nest boxes
-Lots of folks build some nice coops with reclaimed or repurposed material - pallets for example.
-Brooder design...not sure about design - you'll need a heat lamp, feeder, waterer, pine shavings, and something to put it all into - a large box, big plastic tote, lots of choices in that.

Take a tour of the Learning Center below and you'll get a lot of questions answered:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

SobbaChickens

Songster
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Kansas
I'm going to be building a coop for a dozen chickens. This will be my first time having chickens so as you can imagine I have tons of questions! First, how much room in the coop is recommended for each bird? How many laying boxes do I need? How big should the run be? Dirt floor or wood floor for the coop? How tall should it be? I'm on a pretty low budget so I'm not looking to build anything extravagant but I want it to be a good coop for 12 chickens. Your oppinions or answers will be much appreciated,I am also interested in good brooder designs. Thanks
Hello and welcome to the site! I'm a newbie as well. We have 6 chicks about 2.5 weeks old.

- I've read that 2-3 birds will share a nesting box.
-I personally wouldn't do a dirt floor because critters might dig in.
-I want my coop tall enough that I can comfortably be in it

Best of luck!
Katie

chickenman1244

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Dighton, MA
Greetings from Kansas, chickenman1244, and :welcome !  Pleased you joined us!  As to some of your questions:
-Coop size:  4 sq. ft. per bird...run size;  10 sq. ft. per bird
-3 or 4 laying boxes will be sufficient
-I'd recommend a wood floor of the coop for easier clean up but some folks use sand
-Tall?  Unsure - not sure it matters - but put the roosts higher than the nest boxes so they don't roost in the nest boxes
-Lots of folks build some nice coops with reclaimed or repurposed material - pallets for example.
-Brooder design...not sure about design - you'll need a heat lamp, feeder, waterer, pine shavings, and something to put it all into - a large box, big plastic tote, lots of choices in that.

Take a tour of the Learning Center below and you'll get a lot of questions answered:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/
Thank you very much. This was very helpful

chickenman1244

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Dighton, MA
Hello and welcome to the site! I'm a newbie as well. We have 6 chicks about 2.5 weeks old.

- I've read that 2-3 birds will share a nesting box.
-I personally wouldn't do a dirt floor because critters might dig in.
-I want my coop tall enough that I can comfortably be in it

Best of luck!
Katie
Thanks for helpin me out!! I hope your chicks grow nice and healthy!!

Top Bottom