Building a coop

chickenman1244

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Dighton, MA
I'm going to be building a coop for a dozen chickens. This will be my first time having chickens so as you can imagine I have tons of questions! First, how much room in the coop is recommended for each bird? How many laying boxes do I need? How big should the run be? Dirt floor or wood floor for the coop? How tall should it be? I'm on a pretty low budget so I'm not looking to build anything extravagant but I want it to be a good coop for 12 chickens. Your oppinions or answers will be much appreciated,I am also interested in good brooder designs. Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
Please check out the coops section, for models, building plans and other details.

Greetings from Kansas, chickenman1244, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! As to some of your questions:
-Coop size: 4 sq. ft. per bird...run size; 10 sq. ft. per bird
-3 or 4 laying boxes will be sufficient
-I'd recommend a wood floor of the coop for easier clean up but some folks use sand
-Tall? Unsure - not sure it matters - but put the roosts higher than the nest boxes so they don't roost in the nest boxes
-Lots of folks build some nice coops with reclaimed or repurposed material - pallets for example.
-Brooder design...not sure about design - you'll need a heat lamp, feeder, waterer, pine shavings, and something to put it all into - a large box, big plastic tote, lots of choices in that.

Take a tour of the Learning Center below and you'll get a lot of questions answered:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

I'm going to be building a coop for a dozen chickens. This will be my first time having chickens so as you can imagine I have tons of questions! First, how much room in the coop is recommended for each bird? How many laying boxes do I need? How big should the run be? Dirt floor or wood floor for the coop? How tall should it be? I'm on a pretty low budget so I'm not looking to build anything extravagant but I want it to be a good coop for 12 chickens. Your oppinions or answers will be much appreciated,I am also interested in good brooder designs. Thanks
Hello and welcome to the site! I'm a newbie as well. We have 6 chicks about 2.5 weeks old.

- I've read that 2-3 birds will share a nesting box.
-I personally wouldn't do a dirt floor because critters might dig in.
-I want my coop tall enough that I can comfortably be in it

Best of luck!
Katie

Greetings from Kansas, chickenman1244, and :welcome !  Pleased you joined us!  As to some of your questions:
-Coop size:  4 sq. ft. per bird...run size;  10 sq. ft. per bird
-3 or 4 laying boxes will be sufficient
-I'd recommend a wood floor of the coop for easier clean up but some folks use sand
-Tall?  Unsure - not sure it matters - but put the roosts higher than the nest boxes so they don't roost in the nest boxes
-Lots of folks build some nice coops with reclaimed or repurposed material - pallets for example.
-Brooder design...not sure about design - you'll need a heat lamp, feeder, waterer, pine shavings, and something to put it all into - a large box, big plastic tote, lots of choices in that.

Take a tour of the Learning Center below and you'll get a lot of questions answered:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/
Thank you very much. This was very helpful

Hello and welcome to the site! I'm a newbie as well. We have 6 chicks about 2.5 weeks old.

- I've read that 2-3 birds will share a nesting box.
-I personally wouldn't do a dirt floor because critters might dig in.
-I want my coop tall enough that I can comfortably be in it

Best of luck!
Katie
Thanks for helpin me out!! I hope your chicks grow nice and healthy!!

Back
Top Bottom