Building a "duck tractor"

MohicanHase

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
We want to build a 10X10 movable pen for 2 pekin and 3 Cayuga ducks. Does anyone have good plans for building a movable pen/tractor? We need to move it everyday to avoid killing the grass. I haven't really found any good plans on makings one. In the winter we may add a house for them to go in, but I am not super worried about that at the moment. Thanks!

Here is what I built:

The bottom sits flush on the ground, but I roll landscaping timbers and blocks around to prevent digging underneath by predators. No predator losses since I built it this past Fall. I move it to a fresh patch of grass once a week, the 21 ducks I have fertilize the 10'x10' it quite thoroughly. I put a pair of retractable wheels on one end and hook the other end to my mower. It's heavier than expected, so I'm probably just going to put another pair of wheels on it and just push it around.

All the material was purchased from Lowe's/Home Depot mostly in the chain link fence section. Roughly $600. I'm going to build another one in the near future. Either to connect them together or separate them when I want a breeding/brooding house.

Enjoy,
Rich

Yes, the pen should be done tomorrow. :) its 4 10X4 panes that we are going to bolt together, it has a gate, and possibly wheels, if it has wheels it will be like 4in off the ground, but luckily we have relatively no predators here, except for cats but ducks are a little out of their league. lol will post photo when its done.

That is beautiful! I know that at night, folks have lost ducks to things reaching through even a one inch gap under the fence. My ducks will nap right up against the fence. Wondering if some kind of skirt might work.

And it is a wonderful-looking tractor!!!

Is that a little night shelter I see in there?

Last edited:
Here is what I built:

The bottom sits flush on the ground, but I roll landscaping timbers and blocks around to prevent digging underneath by predators. No predator losses since I built it this past Fall. I move it to a fresh patch of grass once a week, the 21 ducks I have fertilize the 10'x10' it quite thoroughly. I put a pair of retractable wheels on one end and hook the other end to my mower. It's heavier than expected, so I'm probably just going to put another pair of wheels on it and just push it around.

All the material was purchased from Lowe's/Home Depot mostly in the chain link fence section. Roughly $600. I'm going to build another one in the near future. Either to connect them together or separate them when I want a breeding/brooding house.

Enjoy,
Rich
Do you have a shopping list so I know what to buy? This looks great!

Back
Top Bottom