Building a new coop! So excited.

mommabear123

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015
I currently have 23 chickens and a small coop. So here goes my Hen pen lol I plan on doing a 12x10 shed style insulated coop. With a 4×6 entrance that the chickens don't have access too, this way I can change my shoes stack feed etc. Also plan on a roll put nest box that is accessible by the entrance. planning on 12 nestboxes. will have windows for cross ventilation and an insulated door. 3 rows of perches at almost 10 feet long (stair style) on hinges so they can be lifted up to clean under. Pop door on pulley system. planning on putting 2 closable vents at the roof line. Any tips hints or suggestions?

I have a twelve by fourteen coop and I like the idea of a place for you, I find however that coop space is always to valuable for my use. A dozen nest boxes is a lot for 23 hens. I think the rule of thumb around here is 3-4 birds per box, but I like the Idea of planing for the future as well. And there will always be a nest or two that the birds won't use anyway. Ensure you have enough ventilation, especially where you are making a tight coop. Draft free goes without saying…

I always enjoy a build, I suppose you do as well. Chicken keepers delight, new digs for the birds.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom