Building a new coop, suggestions welcome

My plan is to overhang it on all sides and have everything in the gable open for ventilation. I guess I'll need some sort of DIY louver or baffle.

Based on the cost of lumber, I'll probably be utilizing 7x5' pallets to get my lumber, assuming I can still get the pallets where I used to get them. If I'm lucky I won't even have to buy much in the way of plywood.

I'm going to cut a swale to carry water to the side of the coop. The foundation will be waterproof and the dirt floor will be above grade, so even if water gets inside, it's unlikely to make it to the surface.

Sounds like solid plans.

Small update :

Went and picked up a couple pallets to get the Lumber out of them. They're roughly 7x5'. Also got 4 pieces of OSB and a 10' pallet. I THINK I have enough lumber for the whole project. Might have to make a return trip to dig out the two pallets that had some longer 2x4s on them, looked like a lot of nails though. I will likely end up purchasing some treated boards for my base plates and the longer boards that I need for the roof and top plates on the walls.

Attachments

• 32688ED5-9036-4FE6-B11A-F8655D7CB684.jpeg
    32688ED5-9036-4FE6-B11A-F8655D7CB684.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 14
Small update :

Went and picked up a couple pallets to get the Lumber out of them. They're roughly 7x5'. Also got 4 pieces of OSB and a 10' pallet. I THINK I have enough lumber for the whole project. Might have to make a return trip to dig out the two pallets that had some longer 2x4s on them, looked like a lot of nails though. I will likely end up purchasing some treated boards for my base plates and the longer boards that I need for the roof and top plates on the walls.

Looking good!

Update :

Broke down two pallets today. Not too labor intensive, but it consumes time. Especially when your help taps out after the first one and you've gotta cut strawberries for him while he's watch puppy dog pals before you can finish the second pallet.

There's a TON of YouTube videos says to cut the boards or nails with a sawzall. While I'm not saying it won't work, I am saying there's a better way. (See pictures)

I cut the boards at the 2x4s and then pulled nails. Made it easy, few split boards. I'll post pictures of method later. I'm pulling ALL of the nails because I don't want to worry about working around them or catching one with my miter saw.

Attachments

• 7C4137C3-F5BA-4056-8FE0-135F89FC33CA.jpeg
    7C4137C3-F5BA-4056-8FE0-135F89FC33CA.jpeg
    747.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 77D5BB36-0ED5-444A-A9BE-3B31844F81C5.jpeg
    77D5BB36-0ED5-444A-A9BE-3B31844F81C5.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
As far as design is concerned - does anyone have a low "intake" for ventilation? At the moment I'm counting on air coming in from the bottom of the vents as hot air moves out the top, all happening high above everything in the coop. I think it'll work, but I'm wondering if a hole down below that's secured with hardware cloth would be better. I could put it on the shady (also elevated above grade) side to draw the cooler air from the woods.

Thoughts? Experience?

Update :

Broke down two pallets today. Not too labor intensive, but it consumes time. Especially when your help taps out after the first one and you've gotta cut strawberries for him while he's watch puppy dog pals before you can finish the second pallet.

There's a TON of YouTube videos says to cut the boards or nails with a sawzall. While I'm not saying it won't work, I am saying there's a better way. (See pictures)

I cut the boards at the 2x4s and then pulled nails. Made it easy, few split boards. I'll post pictures of method later. I'm pulling ALL of the nails because I don't want to worry about working around them or catching one with my miter saw.

Could you show a photo of a half-cut pallet so we could see exactly how you're doing this?

In fact, it would be a great topic for an article -- step-by-step how to dismantle a pallet.

As far as design is concerned - does anyone have a low "intake" for ventilation? At the moment I'm counting on air coming in from the bottom of the vents as hot air moves out the top, all happening high above everything in the coop. I think it'll work, but I'm wondering if a hole down below that's secured with hardware cloth would be better. I could put it on the shady (also elevated above grade) side to draw the cooler air from the woods.

Thoughts? Experience?

The Little Monitor Coop has a low window next to the nests because I live in a very hot climate:
1592181625801-png.2195259

Could you show a photo of a half-cut pallet so we could see exactly how you're doing this?

In fact, it would be a great topic for an article -- step-by-step how to dismantle a pallet.

I will take pictures next time I work on it. These are not standard pallets. I know a place that always plenty of them because the pallet harvesters can't make any money off them because of their a-typical size. The 2x4s measure 6'11" and the plank width is about 5' so getting 48" out of them should be ideal for sheathing. Might be worth buying OSB to reduce my nail usage - but I already have the nails on hand...so we'll see. What I won't spend on lumber should pay for the equipment rental to dig the foundation and grade the yard for door clearance and drainage.

Last edited:
As far as design is concerned - does anyone have a low "intake" for ventilation?
I had to go back to find that you are in central Virginia. If you put that info in your profile that will always be available. It helps in so many different ways.

You have the right idea. Warm air is lighter than cool air so if cool air is coming in gravity will pull it to the bottom which pushes the warm air out above. How much gets moved depends on the size of the ventilation holes and the difference in temperatures of the air coming in versus temperature of the air inside. You will move some with vents up high but the way to maximize that it to have a vent where the air is coolest.

You may have shading or other feature that changes this, but north of the equator that is typically in the north side of the coop. The east side isn't horrible since you want this when it is hottest, which is typically in the afternoon. My coolest spot was actually on the south side because of a shed.

I did what you are talking about, had a cut-out a little above ground level and covered it with hardware cloth. Maybe 8" high and between two studs. Mine was a little too low. The chickens scratch around my feeder and throw bedding over there which can cover it up. I need to rake it away in the summer.

In central Virginia you can have some pretty cold nights in winter. I'd guess your extreme is probably close to zero Fahrenheit, though that may be rare. I would not want a cold breeze hitting the chickens on the roost on those nights. If the roosts are between this low vent and a higher one you might get a cold wind whistling through during a storm. You might want a way to block it off or at least buffer the wind. In Arkansas I'd rake bedding over there for those cold snaps. You might have a piece of wood that you could lean against it. If your roosts are not between that vent and ventilation higher up don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom