Building a new coop

Are my coop dimensions of 4x 4 x 8 feet with a 3.5 tall front appropriate for 6 full size hens

• Too big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too small

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just right

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

ashkyns

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
We have 6 chickens. they are supposed to be pullets but we have a feeling one is a male. For the permenet coop i was going to build 4 ft high 8 ft long and 4 ft deep with the front 3.5 ft so that its angled downward. Is this a good size. I planned on putting the nest boxes in front and the perch on one side with the food and water on the other side I have 2 screens that are 1 ft high by 2 ft long and 1 ft high by 3 ft long for vents, and i plan on not having a floor.

Currently my family is also building about the same size coop for 3 hens but it depends for 6. If they are just going to sleep there and you will let them out in the morning then that should be a great size but if they are spending more time in there then I suggest making a good sized run with it for them.

The floor space in my coop is 6ft by 4 ft and then nest boxes along the front. I have had 8 chickens in there no problem. Actually there is plenty of room for more. my chickens free range all day so roost space is more important than floor space. My suggestion is that you place your roosts high enough the chickens can utilize the floor below them for those cold, rainy, or snowy days if you get them. I have 2 roost bars that run the 6ft length of the coop with a poop board below them so chickens can walk below without getting bombed.

One more suggestion: If you are going to have them in a run and not free ranging, I would make it moveable. For the first year I had chickens they had (2) 6ft by 4ft runs attached to the end of the coop which is elevated and fenced as well for a total of a 18ft by 4ft run. Within a week 8 chickens would have it scratched right down to dirt. You can see the individual run pieces . The one in the background
is open on both ends. I have added a 4in by 8in pressure treated beam that is notched to accept the 3pt hitch on my tractor, and some skids under the 4x4 posts. this way the tractor picks up one end and just slides the coop wherever. The run pieces can be easily picked up and moved. Now all my chickens free range. I hope atleast some of this is useful for you.

Back
Top Bottom