building a new coop!

chickengirl1193

Songster
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
north Jersey
so for a birthday present my boyfriend is building me a second coop. it's going to be 3'x4' with an attached run. it's going to mainly be for young birds. he's putting in 2 Windows that can be closed. he is saying that he will leave the soffits open for ventilation. will that be enough ventilation? in the summer I'll leave the Windows open for a breeze. any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ventilation is important for chickens. The accumulating fumes from droppings and heat of summer take a toll on the health of the chickens. Folks tend to worry about chickens being cold in the winter, but chickens have wonderful down comforters to keep them warm. If the coop has no drafts blowing across the chickens, then the chickens will be able to keep themselves warm.

A rough guide that I use is to provide enough ventilation so that the deep litter does not smell. With vents on either side of the coop, one high and one low, the warm air will rise and exit the upper vents, while fresh air enters through the lower vents. The provides fresh air without a draft. In general, more ventilation is better.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom