building a new guinea/duck coop

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
well i had to seperate my chickens and guineas, too much bullying going on. i plan to get more soon, as i only have 3 right now. i also plan to get ducks sometime this summer. im going to make a new coop for them by this weekend and id like to do it with pallets. i have some pallets that have 2-3 inches between the slats, should i be too concerned about anything getting thru that? i did see a opposum sneaking around last year but knock on wood never again and havent had any issues. i dont plan to get real fancy with it, just a simple shack for them to roost and be locked up in at night, providing they cooperate! i plan to have them rangeing most the day and id keep my ducks the same way so i figured id try to coop them together. the plan i have is for the coop to be 4'x8' and 8' high. how many guineas and ducks could i keep in there? like i said i plan to let them out all day.

also- do ducks roost? this might be a silly question but my guess is that they dont, seeing they have flat feet. how do they sleep? nests?
hu.gif

Quote:
If you're going to do a duck or chicken coop out of pallets, I would suggest you use a hardware wire, just in case. Ducks don't roost, never seen one. They sleep on the floor ( coop or run )
Sometimes my ducks lay their eggs inside of the shed, other times I find the eggs in the nest box. They lay where ever it feels right for them I guess
big_smile.png
If you're going to get ducks, don't forget to add a pond for them, they LOVE water. Good luck with all
smile.png

Muscovy ducks roost, well some of mine do, the others don't. the others just snuggle up ontop of some straw. All my ducks lay in nest boxes, the same as my chickens.

Can't say anything about the guineas, what ducks are you planning on getting?

EDIT: I agree about the hardware cloth, that's plenty of space for all sorts of vermin, snakes, stoats and weasels. Not sure where you are, and which other predators you may have

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom