Building a pond - step by step - mostly complete post71

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
I figured I'd post here my pond building progress as I go along in case it actually works as a duck pond without too much headache.
We picked up some supplies yesterday and now I need to order the liner and the rest of the construction will likely wait until DH is recovered from his knee surgery on Tuesday so he can help me out.

The pond site - a few landscape timbers to mark a location and general size of the pond before we commit.
Dogs approve:
P1030521.jpg

Step 1 - get dogs out of pond site
Abby on the way out
P1030524.jpg

Jet on the way out
P1030527.jpg

Step 2 - get ducks' approval after closer size layout and some grading and laying some sand
IMG_4266.jpg

They did a walk through and seem to approve
IMG_4268.jpg

next steps
dig down for the drain and get that installed then level out the sand and build up the sides of the pond
We won't do the building until the liner is here and we can test out how to do corners so we sure we have enough liner and make it as big as we can

Finished size should be around 7' wide, 12 ' long and about 18" deep

Last edited:
I know this is about ponds and ducks, but when I see a dog like Abby I have to share pictures of my Moose. He is almost 8yrs old, and I just love this breed. He is so great with all the chickens and ducks. Thanks for letting me share.
lol.png

Moose protecting our camp.
62892_dsc_0149.jpg

Good looking guy!

Pond liner should be here tomorrow afternoon.
DH still has his leg up on the back of the couch, so I won't have help with getting all the stuff level to start, so maybe I'll figure out how big it will end up being and dig the drain in.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new pond too. Good luck! I also LOVE, LOVE your Merle, they are my favorite colors for the Danes. The black is beautiful too in this thread. I just had to share my pics of my Great Dane, Josey with my new 3 week ducklings on his back. I also have 7 hens and a rooster and they love him too!

43875_img00279-20110421-1929.jpg

43875_img00281-20110421-1930.jpg

Did some work on it today since my liner arrived yesterday. DH is still only allowed to sit on the sideline though I did bring a chair down so he could sit in the shade and watch for a bit instead of staying up on the patio.

Frame for the pond and filter are built. DH will have to cut us some rebar tomorrow and help me drill 3829389 holes and pound those suckers in.

Level the first layer of timbers - make sure you have a supervisor or two
P1030582.jpg

A couple layers up
P1030592.jpg

At least I always had a friend while working...
P1030600.jpg

Almost done. Jet bailed while she could still get out. Abby thought it was still fine for her
P1030613.jpg

Checking for level on the final dry stack of the pond - my supervisor looked on
P1030626.jpg

Seems it was acceptable
P1030632.jpg

Very acceptable
P1030637.jpg

Filter area and tiny planting area added
P1030653.jpg

From the back patio
P1030658.jpg

A trip to Lowe's tonight (who knew you could spend over an hour in plumbing looking for all the bits and pieces you need while you figure out your drains and filter/pond plumbing!) to pick up stuff to keep working on it tomorrow.

Seems as though the next project is a sand box for the dogs...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom