Building a pond - step by step - mostly complete post71

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, May 1, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I figured I'd post here my pond building progress as I go along in case it actually works as a duck pond without too much headache.
    We picked up some supplies yesterday and now I need to order the liner and the rest of the construction will likely wait until DH is recovered from his knee surgery on Tuesday so he can help me out.

The pond site - a few landscape timbers to mark a location and general size of the pond before we commit.
    Dogs approve:
    [​IMG]

Step 1 - get dogs out of pond site
    Abby on the way out
    [​IMG]

Jet on the way out
    [​IMG]

Step 2 - get ducks' approval after closer size layout and some grading and laying some sand
    [​IMG]

They did a walk through and seem to approve
    [​IMG]

next steps
    dig down for the drain and get that installed then level out the sand and build up the sides of the pond
    We won't do the building until the liner is here and we can test out how to do corners so we sure we have enough liner and make it as big as we can

Finished size should be around 7' wide, 12 ' long and about 18" deep

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    excellent progress, cant wait to see some more pic!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Can't wait to see the rest. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

i can't wait to see more, too! We are in the very beginning stages of upgrading our duck pond and looking for ideas. Maybe i will post a thread, too . . . when we finally get past just planning. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just love the ducks' stamps of approval!

6. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I know this is about ponds and ducks, but when I see a dog like Abby I have to share pictures of my Moose. He is almost 8yrs old, and I just love this breed. He is so great with all the chickens and ducks. Thanks for letting me share. [​IMG]

Moose protecting our camp.
    [​IMG]

7. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Good looking guy!

Pond liner should be here tomorrow afternoon.
    DH still has his leg up on the back of the couch, so I won't have help with getting all the stuff level to start, so maybe I'll figure out how big it will end up being and dig the drain in.

8. foxchasr

foxchasr In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    I can't wait to see pictures of your new pond too. Good luck! I also LOVE, LOVE your Merle, they are my favorite colors for the Danes. The black is beautiful too in this thread. I just had to share my pics of my Great Dane, Josey with my new 3 week ducklings on his back. I also have 7 hens and a rooster and they love him too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Did some work on it today since my liner arrived yesterday. DH is still only allowed to sit on the sideline though I did bring a chair down so he could sit in the shade and watch for a bit instead of staying up on the patio.

Frame for the pond and filter are built. DH will have to cut us some rebar tomorrow and help me drill 3829389 holes and pound those suckers in.

Level the first layer of timbers - make sure you have a supervisor or two
    [​IMG]

A couple layers up
    [​IMG]

At least I always had a friend while working...
    [​IMG]

Almost done. Jet bailed while she could still get out. Abby thought it was still fine for her
    [​IMG]

Checking for level on the final dry stack of the pond - my supervisor looked on
    [​IMG]

Seems it was acceptable
    [​IMG]

Very acceptable
    [​IMG]

Filter area and tiny planting area added
    [​IMG]

From the back patio
    [​IMG]

A trip to Lowe's tonight (who knew you could spend over an hour in plumbing looking for all the bits and pieces you need while you figure out your drains and filter/pond plumbing!) to pick up stuff to keep working on it tomorrow.

Seems as though the next project is a sand box for the dogs...

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My thoughts exactly [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: