Building a Quail Hutch **UPDATE** Finished! Photo-Heavy

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AndreaGS, Mar 9, 2009.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Looks great! If the weather holds out here. I'll be working on mine, but yours'll be nicer.
    [​IMG]

2. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    It looks very good, and any quail owner should be proud to have cages set up like that. I would like to offer some BTDT (been there done that) advice. Make sure you can access the entire cage through your doors. The quail you need to reach will always go to the farthest corner. I had to add doors at the ends of my cages after the fact and it was a real pain, but I finally realized my arms weren't going to get any longer.

Brad

edit: spelling

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the advice, linebacker! I actually didn't think of this, but my brilliant fiance mentioned that all the quail were going to back into the corner when we go to grab them, so he made sure we could reach into every bit of the cage from the door.

I swear, we're really not handy. I did a bit of set construction back in high school, and I think that's about the extent of our combined handiness. We're the kind of people that pulled the dishwasher out from under the counter because it wasn't working...only to realize that it was unplugged underneath the sink.

I did a pretty basic design sketch beforehand, and we've been fumbling our way through it since. So, if you can hold a pencil, print out a protractor from the internet, and if your neighbor owns a circular saw...you TOO can build a quail hutch! [​IMG]

We may work some more on it Friday...busy week this week.

4. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    We finished our quail hutch this weekend! Hurrah!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Putting some of the paneling on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Inside one of the little shelters!

[​IMG]
    Painting it...ran out of juice in the drill, so attached the rest of the paneling later.

[​IMG]
    Putting on the roof! There were a bunch of extra shingles and roof-whatever-it-is stuff in our shed, so we used those. Free!

[​IMG]
    Roof finished [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Putting on the hardware cloth. I found the coated hardware cloth for the floors at Home Depot. Very nice, much softer than the regular stuff.

[​IMG]
    Hardware cloth done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Where it belongs, in our yard. Still the poop trays to do, but those won't take very long.

Eggs should be here tomorrow or the day after. Egg-citing! Ha ha ha...

5. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    NICE!!!!

6. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

beauty! I'd ask you to post an update in a few months to find out if the birds actually go inside (or someone with a similiar setup can answer this).

7. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    If they are Coturnix quail I can say for sure they will go inside.
    [​IMG]

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    IT IS AWESOME!! MAKE ME ONE and send it in the mail mkay? [​IMG] wow i LOVE IT!

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Ofcourse they will even button quail would [​IMG]

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    To the original poster, would you like me to add your post link to my coturnix quail post link? People are always asking what sorts of houses to put their quail into i'd love to show them this one! [​IMG] It will be up in the sticky at the top of this pageif so in my "Coturnix education time" post [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by