DIY Coop— Wasted hutch space?

BabySteps

Hatching
Feb 20, 2024
I recently built this hutch for my jumbo cotornix quail. The second story is a planter box that the birds do not have access to. Under the box is an enclosed section the I have filled with bedding. I built this thinking the birds would use this area to sleep but so far they have been sleeping in the run. Will they use the hutch as it gets colder? Or did I waste space and I should open it up?

Attachments

• IMG_4451.jpeg
    IMG_4451.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4449.jpeg
    IMG_4449.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Quail generally sleep wherever they are when it gets dark. They don't go home. You would be better off providing several small shelters rather than one big one. They may use the enclosed area when it gets cold, but if you have small boxes in there, they will usually prefer those.

I recently built this hutch for my jumbo cotornix quail. The second story is a planter box that the birds do not have access to. Under the box is an enclosed section the I have filled with bedding. I built this thinking the birds would use this area to sleep but so far they have been sleeping in the run. Will they use the hutch as it gets colder? Or did I waste space and I should open it up?
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom