Building an 'ecoglow' style brooder using a heat mat

Amy9977

Hatching
Mar 11, 2015
Hi, I've got eggs in the incubator and am rethinking my brooder options. I have a box with a bulb holder mounted in the side, with a red bulb. However, the bulb isn't producing enough heat for young chicks, so I need to get something else quickly before they hatch. I have a heat mat that was used under a reptile tank - and I've heard that you can build a brooder like the Brinsea Ecoglow by putting the heat mat on the underside of a piece of wood, and attaching legs. Has anyone done this? I don't know whether I'd need to put cardboard over the heat mat to stop the chicks touching it? I guess this way it can be adjusted to different heights as the chicks grow up. Any ideas?
Thanks,

I made this brooder out of part of a seed tray and a seed heating mat, which is basically the same as a reptile mat. We had planned to use it over the top of a seed tray, but I wasn't comfortable that they would get warm enough, so the first time we used it under them - now it's wrapped around.

The babies seem to love it, especially the bend part, and they like that they can jump up on top and peep like they are king of the hill but still be somewhat warm. Direct contact to the mat doesn't seem to bother them, but it has a thermostat.

I am going to sub out some kind of taller tupperware for the seed tray when they get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom