Building an external laying box?

Depending on how much space you have in there heightwise (they need at least 12" above their heads on top of the roost to stand up and to get up and down), you could try something like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535
That's really helpful, thanks. Unfortunately I don't think there is quite enough space on top. We were considering removing the slide out tray, leaving the roost where it is, and then just blocking up the side facing into the run. Would that work?

You could use a dog- cat carrier as a nesting box. I bought one to bring my girls around with me from a yard sale. I left it in the run and yep, it is a favorite to lay in now.
Sounds good! we will definitely try that, as well as making a few roosting changes. Do I need to put anything in it to make it a bit softer?

Oh, I should've done this earlier, but since you noted that the coop is too small for the birds, to extend out the usability of it you could convert the entire coop/mini run into a larger coop.

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/
Wow that is very helpful. Thanks you so much, I will be sure to try it! Should we keep the slanted roof as is, or modify it to be flat to make more room?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses, and for the help about DLM. Do you have any other suggestions as to how we could efficiently dispose of wood chips?

I have attached a couple of photos of the coop (it's a bit dirty and needs cleaning out today). As for the climate, it never gets below freezing in our area. we are coming to the end of winter and it has been around 10 degrees celcius in the morning, and near to 20 at midday - we are in NSW

Thanks for your help, we are new to chickens and definitely need to make some improvements to the coop!

I'm sorry, I hate to give you bad news when you're trying so hard to do right by your chickens, but that coop is too small to keep any chickens in at all -- being only 2'x2' -- room for 1 chicken only. IIRC, it's the one where they actually use toy chickens in the ad photos to deceive people abut the size. :(

It makes a good isolation ward or early brooder, but you really need to have a much larger coop. For 4 chickens you need:
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. 1, 2'x2' window is theoretically enough but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
My Little Monitor Coop is designed to meet all the minimums for a 4-hen flock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

1628856672566.png
1628856717531.png

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, particularly with housing. You can add your general location to your profile so that we can reference it and give better answers to your questions. :)

Can you give us some photos from further back showing your run and the general setting?

Do you have any other suggestions as to how we could efficiently dispose of wood chips?
If you have wood chips in the run, just leave them there to help absorb the moisture and smell from the poop. As they break down and pile up, the make a wonderful layer of organic material that the chickens love to scratch through. If it gets really deep (over 12-18"), shovel some out and put it on your garden, around trees, in flower beds. It is the most wonderful compost and mulch you can get.

I'm sorry, I hate to give you bad news when you're trying so hard to do right by your chickens, but that coop is too small to keep any chickens in at all -- being only 2'x2' -- room for 1 chicken only. IIRC, it's the one where they actually use toy chickens in the ad photos to deceive people abut the size. :(
All good, but thanks for all the help anyway. I'm glad I got the help before the girls are all fully grown. We bought the coop off an Australian website called sommerzby (https://www.somerzby.com.au/products/chalet-chicken-coop/) that says it is suitable for up to 4 chickens as long as they are let out, but after reading everything you have said, it is clearly not big enough!

Your little monitor coop looks very practical. Any ideas how we can change ours to be a better size? No one in the family is very handy.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, particularly with housing. You can add your general location to your profile so that we can reference it and give better answers to your questions. :)

Can you give us some photos from further back showing your run and the general setting?
Thanks, have added it now. I live in NSW, Australia. I have attached some photos of the coop and area, NB: I let them out around 1 or 2 to free range for the afternoon.

Also, the area of the enclosure is roughly 14' by 18'.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Attachments

• coop 1.JPG
    coop 1.JPG
    702.1 KB · Views: 4
  • coop 2.JPG
    coop 2.JPG
    770.2 KB · Views: 4
  • coop 3.JPG
    coop 3.JPG
    716.5 KB · Views: 4
  • coop 4.JPG
    coop 4.JPG
    682.2 KB · Views: 4
  • coop 5.JPG
    coop 5.JPG
    496.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks, have added it now. I live in NSW, Australia. I have attached some photos of the coop and area, NB: I let them out around 1 or 2 to free range for the afternoon.

Also, the area of the enclosure is roughly 14' by 18'.

Thanks so much for all your help!

What a nice space you've got for your run! Spacious and shady with good clutter to give them things to do.

You're in a mild, subtropical climate, I think? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please), If yes, then your chickens don't need a fully-enclosed coop, they just need a predator-proof shelter with a roof and protection from your prevailing winter and/or storm winds. In areas where summer heat is more of a problem than winter cold having one wall entirely made of wire is often a good idea.

If you can modify your coop to turn it into one, big box instead of 3 little boxes (coop, nestbox, and attached run), with the leeward wall entirely wire and a perch run lengthwise that would probably be the easiest.

Here's a thread about one person's modification of a prefab coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

Back
Top Bottom