Building an in-ground pond.... any tips to make it chicken safe?

Apr 23, 2019
South Texas
I currently have 8 ducks that live with my chickens. I've had kiddie pools for them and while that works well enough, I would like to build an in-ground pond for them. I have 10 acres so space is not an issue. Any tricks or design tips to help keep the pond as chicken safe as possible?

I would make sure there is a gradual slope around all the edges so it's easier for birds (chickens or ducks or any other critters that wind up in there) to walk in and out.

That is what I was thinking. I want it big enough that my ducks (and hopefully geese soon) can swim and enjoy it so it should be easy enough to slope the sides in. My hubby thinks I've lost my mind but oh well :D

I'd also suggest you line the slope with large rocks so that if someone does fall in they can have some traction when they climb back out. You will need to run the hose into the rocks to flush out the duck poop that gets in there when you go to do a water change.

Hmm... perhaps we need to know how big you are thinking, because this clearly comes from someone with a very different image of how big this pond is than my mental image...

I’m thinking around 8-12 ft diameter. It would be around 2000 gallons. I’m planning on having a submersible pump with a fountain n the center. Probably would line it with a traditional pond liner and then place rock on top of that.

I’m thinking around 8-12 ft diameter. It would be around 2000 gallons. I’m planning on having a submersible pump with a fountain n the center. Probably would line it with a traditional pond liner and then place rock on top of that.
Oooh, ours is only 6 ft dia and no filtration and now I have major pond envy! You'll be so glad you did a pump/fountain because it doesn't take long for the ducks and geese to turn that water brown.

Back
Top Bottom