Building an incubator - thermostats?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Jan 3, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I was just wondering who has built their own incubators and used a thermostat and who has gone without. I am currently building my own and am having trouble finding a thermostat with a suitable temperature range, there plenty between 50-80 degrees celcius [​IMG] but i need 25-40 celcius, plenty from overseas (I'm an Aussie) and i would prefer not to have to muck around changing connections, and am not sure about using an aquarium thermostat. How important/useful are they?
    Any help with this would be wonderful [​IMG]

2. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a lower hot water heater thermostat. Here in the states every hardware store carries them and they only cost about $10. My temps swing from 97-103 but I have a very high hatch rate.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    im in New Zealand & ive got 2 instructions from off here & 1 locally of what to use & how to do it & i have a friend over in aussie who is sending me a heat pad ( hope to get it any day now ) & i have alot of parts coming & im still having probs finding a thermostat. but if you are interested i could send you via email the local instructions which uses a fish tank heater & a cooler bin. most instructions say a water cylinder thermostat works great

4. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Thanks Raven81, that would be great [​IMG] I will PM my email address to you.
    I will also try the local hardwares - at least if they dont stock them they may be able to point me in the right direction [​IMG]
    I should also add that my bator is a styrofoam box, heat source will be a lightglobe and I will have serveral thermometres and a hygrometre set up in there.
    Once I have the basics covered i will be asking questions about ventilation [​IMG]

5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    you can look at HVAC thermostats as well. you might have better luck there since they are for home/office air systems and should have the right temp ranges. I like ranco brand but don't know if that is in your area.

6. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've also heard of people using hot water heater thermostats for incubators - though they can be though to set and the 'on/off' temp swing [hysterisus] can be outside the target incubator temps.

Many people swear by the wafer thermostat . . . which I've seen for about $25 dollar US.

There are electronic thermostats that are quite expensive.

Lastly, I've heard other people use a thermostat for reptiles.

Best of Luck,

Xriva

7. tgi_chicken

tgi_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Turangi
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:X2