Building an incubator

cmonkey4

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Pacific, MO
So, I am building an incubator, and so far I have: hardware cloth, light fixture,fertilized eggs daily, fan, egg cartons, cooler, and a water tray. Is there anything else I need? Please give LOTS of information, as this is my first time trying to hatch chicks. I will be posting pictures later.

Last edited:
So, I am building an incubator, and so far I have: hardware cloth, light fixture,fertilized eggs daily, fan, egg cartons, cooler, and a water tray. Is there anything else I need? Please give LOTS of information, as this is my first time trying to hatch chicks. I will be posting pictures later.

You will need ventilation, a thermostat, and as for the egg cartons, if you are using the foam ones, I'd suggest cutting vent hole in them so the eggs can breath. You will need some way to rotate the eggs as well. Such as an egg turner. (You can make these easy enough, or just use something like a thick book moving it from one side of the egg carton to the other 3-4 times per day for the first 18 days for chickens, or 25 days for turkeys.) I highly recommend an automatic egg turner.
A thermometer is a must for regulating the temperature inside the incubator. (The thermometer doesn't do the regulating, but it gives you the information you must have in order to make changes in the thermostat settings.) Really 2 thermometers is better, and even a second heat source as a back up in case the first one stops working.

You will need ventilation, a thermostat, and as for the egg cartons, if you are using the foam ones, I'd suggest cutting vent hole in them so the eggs can breath. You will need some way to rotate the eggs as well. Such as an egg turner. (You can make these easy enough, or just use something like a thick book moving it from one side of the egg carton to the other 3-4 times per day for the first 18 days for chickens, or 25 days for turkeys.) I highly recommend an automatic egg turner.
 A thermometer is a must for regulating the temperature inside the incubator. (The thermometer doesn't do the regulating, but it gives you the information you must have in order to make changes in the thermostat settings.) Really 2 thermometers is better, and even a second heat source as a back up in case the first one stops working.
Thanks! I haven't gotten a thermometer yet, and I have a plastic cooler. What should I do for a heat source?

I'm having a hard time regulating the temperature..

Without a thermostat, it will be impossible to do so! And keeping a very consistent 99.5* for chicken eggs is of the upmost importance!
You NEED a thermometer with humidity reading. (preferably two thermometers positioned in different areas of the incubator.)

Last edited:
I am also new at this and my wife wants me to build her an incubator. I found many good examples in the learning center along with a lot of valuable information.
Good luck on the hatching.

Without a thermostat, it will be impossible to do so! And keeping a very consistent 99.5* for chicken eggs is of the upmost importance!
 You NEED a thermometer with humidity reading. (preferably two thermometers positioned in different areas of the incubator.)
I just got a thermostat yesterday. It has temperature an humidity.

I just got a thermostat yesterday. It has temperature an humidity.

There is a difference between a thermometer, and a thermostat. It sounds like you are describing a thermometer! A thermostat is used to regulate the temperature, and a
thermometer is used to read the temperature. (And some can also read the humidity.)

Back
Top Bottom