Building and designing our coop.Exciting right- yet…

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
I waited a few years before designing the new coop. I wanted to be able to walk inside it. Egg access from outside. Poop shelves. Brooder built inside.
The inside is almost done.
And yet the birds keep going to old coop! Augh!

Attachments

• IMG_3294.jpeg
    IMG_3294.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3295.jpeg
    IMG_3295.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3298.jpeg
    IMG_3298.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3286.jpeg
    IMG_3286.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3251.jpeg
    IMG_3251.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3261.jpeg
    IMG_3261.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 9
Remove or lock up access to the old coop so they can't use it.

If temperatures are moderate enough and you have at least 4 sq ft of floor space in the new coop, you could also try locking them inside the new coop for a few days to home them to it. When I put in a new, bigger coop we locked our girls in for 48 hrs and after 1 day of token resistance they moved into the new one without issue.

And yet the birds keep going to old coop! Augh!
This is normal.
Block access to the old coop.
When my flock was moved into their new coop the first night I had to place each bird into the coop one by one. Then I left the lights on for the night so they could explore the coop all night long. When I opened the pop door in the morning they were released into the same pen they'd been using but still tried to go to roost that night in the old coop and were hanging around the closed door in the evening. I hearded them around to the entrance to the new coop and they readily went in. I had to do that a few nights before they did it themselves.
Chickens hate change. It takes them time to adjust.

Remove or lock up access to the old coop so they can't use it.

If temperatures are moderate enough and you have at least 4 sq ft of floor space in the new coop, you could also try locking them inside the new coop for a few days to home them to it. When I put in a new, bigger coop we locked our girls in for 48 hrs and after 1 day of token resistance they moved into the new one without issue.
We did lock them in for 24 hours. There is enclosed attached run with it. The old coop was locked but I cleaned it out and forgot to close the door. Didn’t think they would get in without the ramp- 🙃 whoops! The enclosed run is pretty nice as well with low roosts. I probably need to move the old coop. Or lock it😂

Back
Top Bottom