building chicken run where bird feeder has been for years

There is no reason to worry unless you have seen sick wild birds
No sick wild birds seen whatsoever. I appreciate seeing the advice (repeatedly!) to just clear the top layer and let the sun work the ground over. New Mexico sun is INTENSE and I might've known/ should've expected as much. God provides the answers within nature- but I'd disrupted the natural ebb and flow of things by drawing (so many) birds to one condensed spot... I will follow this advice and not worry any longer. THANKS AGAIN to each of you!

Ditto Dat!

....and stop feeding the wild birds.
I can't say that I'll stop feeding the wild birds. We enjoy them so much and they obviously enjoy finding my feeders! But I WILL move the feeders from this area we are about to enclose for the chickens (my new bird friends!). THANKS again for taking the time to weigh in with your advice!!!

Have you decided on plans for your new coop and run?

I'm curious because I'm in a hot, wet climate, and I'm interested in seeing what people do in a hot, dry climate.
Well, as many DIY things go, plans are "fluid"! ;) But we HAVE ordered a metal carport, 18x21' to be over their run and a good source of shade. We intend to include 2 small stands of cedar tree/bushes (currently they're 10-12' high) that we will trim down a bit and clear the lower branches to be roosts for them in the daytime. We will fence around this area with 7' tall 1 1/2" coated welded wire mesh, and around the perimeter, there will be chain link fencing buried under the gravel so no uninvited guests can sneak in underneath. We have fox and coyotes around, plus neighbor dogs at large, and potentially an occasional bear or mountain lion. The coop itself will be made of odds and ends scraps and include a shower door for additional light to be allowed in. My husband is somewhat nervous, but attentive to my requirement that it be "cute"! I don't want it to look thrown together out of junk! I have seen so many great ideas and plans through this BYC group and am very grateful for the information. Two of our adult children have chickens but live in Oklahoma and Arkansas so we have some differences, but I'm getting lots of good advice from them as well. I am excited for this to be coming together and look forward to the arrival of my 9 little day-old chicks to arrive in early June.

Well, as many DIY things go, plans are "fluid"! ;) But we HAVE ordered a metal carport, 18x21' to be over their run and a good source of shade. We intend to include 2 small stands of cedar tree/bushes (currently they're 10-12' high) that we will trim down a bit and clear the lower branches to be roosts for them in the daytime. We will fence around this area with 7' tall 1 1/2" coated welded wire mesh, and around the perimeter, there will be chain link fencing buried under the gravel so no uninvited guests can sneak in underneath. We have fox and coyotes around, plus neighbor dogs at large, and potentially an occasional bear or mountain lion. The coop itself will be made of odds and ends scraps and include a shower door for additional light to be allowed in. My husband is somewhat nervous, but attentive to my requirement that it be "cute"! I don't want it to look thrown together out of junk! I have seen so many great ideas and plans through this BYC group and am very grateful for the information. Two of our adult children have chickens but live in Oklahoma and Arkansas so we have some differences, but I'm getting lots of good advice from them as well. I am excited for this to be coming together and look forward to the arrival of my 9 little day-old chicks to arrive in early June.

I had wanted to use a carport to simplify construction of my new, open-air style coop (and to ensure that the posts would never rot or be eaten by termites), but couldn't find a used one/afford a new one.

Please start a build thread when you begin because I'm sure a lot of people will be interested.

I had wanted to use a carport to simplify construction of my new, open-air style coop (and to ensure that the posts would never rot or be eaten by termites), but couldn't find a used one/afford a new one.

Please start a build thread when you begin because I'm sure a lot of people will be interested.
Can do! Our daughter has suggested I make a photo album of our chicken journey!! ha ha! I've already got mealworms wriggling around in plastic tubs in my pantry!! (future chicken treats that I won't be paying TSC for!!) My husband shakes his head saying he never thought he'd see the day... I'd have bugs in my pantry!! (intentionally)

Back
Top Bottom