building coop today need help asap please???!!!???!!!

Chicken_Addict

Songster
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
Kellyville Oklahoma
ok were abt to go out and turn a horse stall into a coop the easiest way for us to do this is to just cover all the open areas with chicken wire (also the safest way) neighbors have pittbull pups ok well my ? is:

it has 2 shelves that are abt 3-4 feet high all the way around what should i use for a ramp ect... so they can get to it? i have some that are abt 4 weeks old and some 2-3 months old also will have 2 ducks in with them later thank you all
smile.png

I'm just building my coop but it also has a ramp. I just used a 2x6 board and nailed small slats going across it every six inches or so all the way up, for them to use for traction getting up and down. I also made sure the board isn't at too steap of an angle.

As far as flying, it depends on the breed. Most of the standards can fly pretty well when they are smaller but as they get to be full sized, they are too heavy to fly very high.

We have 6 of the larger breed of chickens. Our shelf/nesting boxes are approx 3 feet of the ground. They don't seem to have any problems jumping up there. In fact they do it quite often. You could always remove 1 of the shelves on one wall and add a roost with 3 or 4 slats to that wall instead. That way they can use that to help them get up too. Good Luck!
smile.png

I have teh same, a ramp with small board going across for traction. They actually jump the 12 inch high gap well. My girls also hang out on a ladder, but I cant imagine that would be as easy for a duck????

I have 2 ducks that won't hang out on a ladder. One is able to jump about 2 feet up onto a shelf. That's the highest she can get without a ramp. The male has a crippled leg and can't get high unless he has a ramp. He also has to have a ramp outside the pool and inside the pool. Good Luck:) Let us know how it goes. We are starting our new coop this week:ya!

Back
Top Bottom